Severe Mn def. correction on foxtail palms

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Aug 29, 2013.

1. what is the corrective procedure?

2. keeping going

keeping going LawnSite Member

I have had some success with manganese sulphate applied on a 3 monthly schedule to combat frizzle top- but I am still of the opinion florida soil is too alkaline for fox tails to really thrive.

Foliar spraying is an other option making the desired nutrient quickly available but I have no experience of this in foxtails

3. bugsNbows

bugsNbows LawnSite Member

South Florida soils are typically alkaline which can tie up any Manganese present. The steps outlined above are helpful. If possible, regular attention to lowering the soil pH with sulfur / acid forming fertilizers along with foliar drenches of Manganese should help in the long term. Here in central Florida, our soil pH values typically hover around 6-6.5... more gooder for us. LOL.

4. We grow foxtails all day just fine here as long as they are fertilized 4x/year with 8-2-12.

Neglected palms suffer deficiencies.

5. keeping going

Call me dumb or confused but didn't you pose the original question as to how to remedy manganese deficiencies in foxtail palms?

6. keeping going

Scrap my last reply - I see what you are saying now - palms you care for you fertilize four times a year without problems - but you have come across some foxtails which have been neglected.
    I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes

7. SEVERE deficiency. 8-2-12 applied 4x year takes care of nutrients that the palm needs. Severe deficiencies are due to periods of neglect where people haven't been fertilizing.

8. Exactly. 2 that are pretty far into the deficiency. Not past point of no return, but they need help.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

High volume spraying with chelated/water soluble micronutrients. I am regularly dealing with landscapes that were either never fertilized or are non responsive to soil applications of dry fertilizers. Alkaline and salt contaminated soil does it every time.