Severely burned lawn!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jajwrigh, May 11, 2004.

1. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I went to one of my mowing accounts today and it seems as though the homeowner misapplied too much "weed and feed" as she put it. There is orange and white burns everywhere!! What is the best approach at a solution that I should offer her? It was a really nice yard until today...

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Water Water Water

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Well I guess its a good thing that its suppossed to rain all week!

4. spray guy

spray guy LawnSite Member

I would ask to see the bag if there is any product left. See exactly what was in the bag and how much was applied. If it was fertilizer and no weed control in the bag, just keep watering real good for the next week imo. If there is herbicide in the bag along with the fertilizer make sure the trees have not been effected. At times activated charcoal can be applied to help detoxify the soil, seed can then be applied if the grass doesnt come back on its own.

5. Can you post a picture of the damaged lawn?

6. consider some gypsum, along with the WATER,WATER,WATER

7. ChickensDoo

ChickensDoo LawnSite Member

consider telling the customer to stick with a professional service.

I have heard from some sources a combo spray of activated charcoal and a biostimulant will greatly improve chance of recovery.
    charge an arm and a leg, activated charcoal is a hell of a mess.
    best of luck to you.

8. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Charzorb is the name of a liquid concentrate of charcoal. It will absorb much of the excess fertilizer and weed control if it hasn't already killed the grass. Aerate if possible and like everyone is saying, water the heck out of it. One 2.5 gallon of charzorb will do up to 8,000 sq.ft.

Lesco carries it.

9. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

As stated:

Gypsum for straight fert plus water.
    plus Charzorb or Grow-Safe for pesticide combo overdose.

If this lawn was so nice, then there is likely a serious matt of dead thatch leftover. Consider a sod cutter to wasting time with other methods of renovation if the damaged area is large.