Sevin on new sod

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sbvfd592, Sep 16, 2007.

1. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

So I put down sod 2 weeks ago, I lifted a corner............ and there was 37 grubs in a 1'x1' area. Can i apply sevin to try to control them???
  2. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

Read the labeling on Sevin. It should tell you right on the label. Usually though we apply Merit with our sod applications just for that very reason.
  3. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

lescos label says nothing about new turf
  4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I cant see why it would be a problem to apply Sevin to new sod. its too late this year for Merit. but Dylox would be a good choice.
  5. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Agreed with indy,use dylox. sevin is so toxic to bees, we try to not use it at all!
  6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Sevin works very effectively for killing grubs, and it's one of the safest insecticides on the market. It's also used in flea & tick shampoos for dogs & cats. As far as honeybees, it's only foliar applications when it's warm -- and then usually only near flowering ornamentals & trees>>>>> merely follow the label. I am not aware of any insecticide that harms turf (new or old). I'm guessing that's why no labels mention new sod.
  7. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

High rates of an EC (Pyrate) is a good way to smoke any finely cut turf in the heat!