Sex of dog plays a factor when it comes to urine turf damage

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kirkmbrown2001, Mar 31, 2012.

1. kirkmbrown2001

kirkmbrown2001 LawnSite Senior Member

Believe it or not, I think there is some truth to what this guy is saying!

Article: http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8255.pdf

What do you guys think?

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Females have more acid in it.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

And,,, Dogs with nervous bladders squirt more often and less volume, but the real issue is: what's to be done about it... :)

4. bigslick7878

bigslick7878 LawnSite Senior Member

I think he has been reading my posts recently.....

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=372903

5. THIESSENS TLC

THIESSENS TLC LawnSite Senior Member

i had a male lab and it never burned the grass, my dad has a female and it used to burn the grass...until he trained it to wait for a walk.

6. kirkmbrown2001

kirkmbrown2001 LawnSite Senior Member

I am sorry bigslick, I honestly never saw your post. I normally stay in the business management and website section of lawnsite and rarely stray out of those sections. I apologize if I came across as stealing your content. Just found this article on the internet and thought it was interesting. :)

7. Teach123

Teach123 LawnSite Member

I read where there is NO difference between the amount of N (Urea) in Male and Female urine. Someone above was correct when they said it is all about how dogs urinate. Because female dogs squat instead of spraying on trees, the N goes straight to the soil.

Here is what we do at my house that has 2 female dogs. It's kinda a pain, but we still have a gorgeous lawn. We dilute the urine with water from a house after the dogs urinate. They usually go in the same area, so we just nail those spots with water right after they go. It seems like a lot of work, but in the grand scheme of things being a dog owner can be a lot of work and doing this doesn't add to much to our plate.

Just a suggestion, but it works wonders.

8. mpiccoli

mpiccoli LawnSite Member

I have had both a male and a female dog that lived in my house, and the female did much more damage to the lawn then our male did. It also makes the lawn greener in spots where the male pisses.

9. Lawn132012

Lawn132012 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Just had this conersation with a woman that has three labs. 92 females and one male) and she asked this very same question. I never had a female dog so can not say but I never had any problems with young or old dogs. But they have a lot of room to run and spread out the urine. But I had heard Female dogs were really bad with grass.

10. sawman1.75th

sawman1.75th LawnSite Member
    from MA

Female dog urine being more acidic than a males urine is a common misconception...there is absolutely no difference what so ever. In fact my male leaves dead spots while my female doesn't.