Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by EagleLandscape, Feb 5, 2008.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I've been installing anywhere between 2-6 of these per day now. I can put in a full install and weather monitor, configure and be in and out in under an hour.
    It's become a mindless procedure.

2. John you've got it backwards. Fix the system then upgrade the clock. If anything with all the multicycling and low head drainage you may be putting more water into the street.
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Mindless if you're still using 14 g,.wow, ONE spare wire! Room for expansion? Zip.:hammerhead:
  4. If you are able to evaluate a system, determine proper run times and settings, and hang the clock professionally in one hour I think you are skipping something. We never take less than three hours on a yard to properly implement and educate a customer on the smartline.
  5. Was just thinking the same....that clock could hurt a crappy system more than it could help....
  6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

After the "one hour" set-up you guys ever come back?
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Are your customers really comfortable with paying your hourly rate times whatever to 'get edjucated' on a complicated new controller?
  8. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

This system has not proven itself in durability with the on site weather station. I.E., how long does the station hold up to elements, calibration (accuracy...), tampering from birds / squirrel's...
    What have you seen with this so far. Has anyone used the SmartDial or other? I wonder if the $48 / year fee is still better than messing with all these factors. Thoughts?
    Either way, a few post visits is mandatory to "tweak" the system set up. I agree that it will only work as well as the system itself and this should be reviewed and dealt with first.
  9. I personally feel that because the monitor is on-site it is more accurate than the smartdial. The smartdial does require a r/f sensor as well. The customer may cancel the fee then they have a useless clock. At least with the SL one can come back and upgrade to a WMonitor. Squirrels are a hazard. We replaced two squirrel eaten sensors this week. I do not install except for regular customers so that I can monitor the situation.
  10. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

To me, the complexity is in the set up. The customer, should not tweak this system after it is set up other than possible adjusting the % function to adjust for minute zone watering concerns. Should leave to pro that installed or other to assist in fine tuning unit if needed. Its like the days of car owners tweaking there old cars to get them to run better. This is done mostly be very knowledgeable owners, or the auto shop nowadays. They will adjust. Also, I think if they are sold on the water savings it will provide, the initial set up fees are justifiable. If they do not care about water conservation, they will not upgrade to ET type controllers. IMO.