1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shade area for trees

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by scraper69, Apr 25, 2005.

1. scraper69

scraper69 LawnSite Senior Member
    from mi

WHat type of taller ornamental tree would you put in a location with mostly shade.. early morning sun only. Customer wants a weeping cherry or mulberry. what would you use.?? oh said last tree previous homeonwner put in died. Was a weeping cherry, 1yr old. or so. I noticed the hole and didnt look properly dug / installed
  2. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

Redbud or dogwood for filtered sun/shade
  3. gil

gil LawnSite Member

Scraper69, is that location where you want to put the tree very humid?. What kind of irrigation do they use?
    Treedoc1, what about Magnolia? certainly it will not show the flowers as it fullest but i think that can be a good tree for that location
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Amelanchier arborea will take shade. Also, as mentioned, some Magnolia species. Or, think "understory trees" - they will do fine also.
  5. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

"Morning All", all those sound like good choices, but was the tree that died a "Home Depot" tree, 1 yr old?...........Food for thought? :)
  6. scraper69

from mi

not too sure if was a HD tree or what, but i really dont want to risk a mulberry or cherry dying in the same spot. they really want one though...
    i think i will push the dogwood. variety?? unknown
  7. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

i would use acer palmatum dissectum 'waterfall'
  8. Garth

Garth LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with scaby...Acer palmatum. My favourite is "Bloodgood". Cornus was also a very good suggestion. Cercis canadensis will tolerate shade but I've found they are much happier in mostly sunny locations. Halesia and Arbutus unedo do well in shade as well. Of course, there are alot of large shrubs that can be trained into small trees....
  9. scraper69

from mi

What about dogwood.? i also like bloodgood maples
  10. gil

gil LawnSite Member

Make sure to do a soil test. you may find what caused the other tree to die.