1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shade Plant Sunny Plant NEW JERSEY

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 4-Seasons, Feb 20, 2008.

1. 4-Seasons

4-Seasons LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Need some help on what types of plants, trees, and shrubs to plant in shady areas and sunny areas in NJ. Anyone know some names or commons used. Thanks
  2. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

there are thousands of chioces

I think you need to start a working relationship with a good nursery in your area... stay out of the box stores and go talk to you local nurseyman/woman.

Bring a couple coffees

they will not steer you wrong as they want you to suceed

Japanese maples are very popular in my area.. so is white birch ....

Buy a plant encyclopdia

its a worthwild investment as it not only tells you what the plant likes, how big it will grow. what you must do to keep it looking its best....

plus if your anything like me... your latin sucks....

I have gotten better but my nursery stocks about 12 diffrent japanesse maples....order it in english and you may not get what you want....

lucky for me they allways ask me are sure you want that when i screw up...

3. shade tree landscaping

shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

need more info. What are you trying to do with the plants? provide a privacy screen, border, basic landscaping, shade trees? Your question covers way to broad of an area to give a true answer to.
  4. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Yep, not near enough info. Partial shade or dense shade? Under a maple? That is a WHOLE different issue. Maples just SUCK all the nutrients and water from the soil. A shade garden CAN be estabished under a norway maple, but it has to be designed and maintained to a degree many home owners won't live up to. The maple will use all the nutrients, so even in a shade garden, regular ferts are needed.

That environment would require soaker hoses, aphid control on the tree to preven honey dew and consequent black fungus issues on the lower canopy which might include things like astilbe, hostas and ferns. Rhodos and azealuas do well in partial shade, but again, watch the honey dew problem.

Things within a tree's drip line require much more care than a plant that is outside the dripline and gets some full sun.

Not meaning to offend, but to answer your questions, you need to do a whole lot more research than asking such a broad question in a thread. Learn enough to be able to ask more specific questions. Mind melds are Star Trek stuff.
  5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Perhaps you should align yourself with a local horticulturist, designer or maybe a landscape architect for your planting information. You could always do what most other jersey landscapers do and plant the same dozen plants at every property you landscape, but it sounds like you have better intentions. Every site is different, including sun exposure, wind, soils and you may want to consider what the clients desires are. Rutgers in New Brunswick offers a whole selection of short courses during the winter to help you design, plant and select for your landscaping endeavors.

Unfortunately there is no simple answer or one book that will give you all you need to know.

6. 4-Seasons

from NJ

Yes trying to do basic. Beds in front of the house and maybe some islands. For the shade plants i mean houses that have a lot of trees surrounding them, not much sun gets in.
  7. 4-Seasons

from NJ

Yes thanks for that. I was looking at that Rutgers certificate, but missed the first 2 dates. thinking about doing it next year.
  8. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

There are still a couple of classes available for this season that would be worthwhile. The project management class, Principles & Practice of Design, the two pruning classes and the water management & drainage class on March 25 would all be excellent to get started for this season and additional classes next year.

If you have any specifics or properties you are working on, I'd be glad to help. You are not far from my studio and part of my services are education.