Shade Plants?!?!?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DoubleB, Sep 13, 2007.

1. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

hey guys, wondering if any of you could give me some new ideas for planting in shade. Customer wants to "add color" to her front yard, which by the way is mostly shaded through out the day, and also, she doesnt want to do alot of maintaining on these plants either. Have some ideas for some shade plants, but would like some other ideas for some other plants, other than just going mostly hostas. Thanks in advance guys.

P.S. I'm in Zone 4
  2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Zone 4 also. We use annuals, bulbs and perhaps perennials.
    Low maintenance is accomplished in a variety of ways depending largely on water supply.
    No such thing as low maintenance in an irrigated area.
    What are you up against here? Color can start with one of those bright blue metallic balls. Will shrubbery work?
    What is the shape , soil, climate etc. along with the surrounding landscape? i.e. lots of trees, another house, borders of a garden?
    The beauty of this job is that anything is possible.
  3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

smallaxe makes a good point in that you don't always (and its better not to) have to rely on plants in a landscape bed.

as much as I hate it, colored mulch brightens up the dullest/darkest areas of a landscape.

brightly painted bird feeders, metal sculpters, large boulders, decorative gravel.

Mix it all up and you'll have created a really exciting landscape that maintains visual appeal year round.

Here is a list of zone 4 shade loving plants produced by Monrovia