Shade/trees= no grass...Help

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Tude, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Tude

Tude LawnSite Member

I think I have tried about everything under the sun to get grass to grow in my yard.
    Have tilled, fertilized and sewn several varieties of grass seed in the past five years with no lasting luck. Kentucky 31 mix and a Fescue seed were the last I used due to advice from my County Ag Extension Agent.

Have used everything from commercial fertilizers applied per instructions, to using cow manure. No luck.

My lawn will green up very nice after planting and slowly die out to nothing each time. It always gets enough water but it seems that the first places to start dieing is in the shadiest spots of my yard. I have several large oak trees surrounding my house and this problem just leaves me scratching my head.

I have a sand/sandy loam yard with good drainage and ample water. I've trimmed all my trees back as far as I can without making them deformed.

Any sound ideas?
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Tried St. Augustine? Grows great in shade, naturally weed repellent when healthy and thick.
  3. Tude

Tude LawnSite Member

I guess the cost plus no nearby sources have kept me from trying St. Augustine. Would it do well in sandy soil?
  4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Yes, it would do fine in sandy soil. Just treat it right, with proper fertilizer and watering. If you have time, and are not in a rush, you could checkerboard it, save you some cash. Or use plugs. But I'd recommend a full install, start from scratch and you should see great results.
  5. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

If u use St Augustine I would use one of the shade tolorant varieties like jade
  6. BermudaRectangle

BermudaRectangle LawnSite Member

St. Augustine does well in shade, but it also has a tendency to overtake other grasses in the area.

I have enough trouble keeping the St. Augustine from my neighbor's yard from propagating into mine...and not only where our property lines butt up against each other, but even across the driveway! :eek:

St. Augustine is also fungus prone, so careful with excess water in the area...
  7. LouisianaZJ

LouisianaZJ LawnSite Member

Why not just trim or thin out the trees?
  8. tedk

tedk LawnSite Member

9. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Del Mar St. Augustine is a variety that we've had good results with in the DFW area. All the varieties need some sunshine. If it's completely shaded, you need to rethink your goals. If you want, contact me and I'll see if I can look at it with you.