Shady central FL yard

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Goose1, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Goose1

Goose1 LawnSite Member

I'm hoping I can get a few suggestions on this one. My girlfriend has a mostly shaded front lawn that has a huge amount of leaves that accumulate on it(then again, she rarely rakes them). She sodded it on her own last year before I'd met her and it never really took. I'm sure it was due to a combination of factors, such as too thick of a layer of leaves, wrong sod for the conditions, lack of fertilizer, etc. I don't know what she used but after I raked the leaves up for her this last weekend she's pretty much just got dirt for a front yard now.

I'm sure the first steps would involve getting the debris removed and working on the soil a bit but then I'm not sure....should I go with seeding and if so, what kind works in a hot, shaded area? Or is it better to try the sodding, and again, what would work well for that kind of yard?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
  2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Take a soil sample to the Local Extension Office. If possible take pictures of the area including the type of trees with you. Ask to talk with one of the master gardeners. They can usually get you going down the right path. The sevice is free, and will save you lots of time and money.

Good Luck
  3. goforgreen2

goforgreen2 LawnSite Member

Good advice. Only other addition i'd make is to focus on potassium based ferts.
  4. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

More than likely she used floratam st augustine sod which does terrible in the shade and she probally didnt water it
  5. Goose1

Goose1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses and advice. I'll try to run by the local extension office and see what they have to add. In the mean time, I saw another post mention a couple of St Augustine varieties that grow well in areas that have some shade; Palmetto and Jade. Anyone have a preference between those two, or know how readily available it would be if I went looking for some sod or seed for either? Thanks!!!
  6. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

Both are popular but I would go w/ palmetto
  7. Goose1

Goose1 LawnSite Member

Okay, Palmetto seemed like the most popular choice in another post I was reading as well. Good to hear another person confirm that. I think I'll probably go with seeding the lawn with Palmetto rather than sodding it, which should save some money. I'm assuming since it's popular it won't be hard to a bag of seed, right? Anyway, thanks again to all for the insight.
  8. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Just keep it watered. Good idea to water twice a day for 2 weeks(1hr each time). I hate this time of year, very dry and dusty out there.