Shady+Deer Resistant = Headache

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by kemmer, Jul 7, 2006.

1. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, got another project and i need some help with some shade loving and deer resistant plants. I really hate these jobs but the property needs some serious help.

Boxwood, spireas, andromada, inkberry holly, burning bush, viburnum, barberry-shade?

2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Boxwood, Pieris Japonica, good shade tolerance, ilex glabra will also do ok in the shade, Euonymous alatus compactus may survive in the shade, but you won't get as much red color in the fall, many viburnums, will do ok in the shade,but only a few are typically deer resistant, Berberis will grow in the shade and is deer resistant, but you won't get good color if you are looking for the red versions.

Ilex opaca will do well, Magnolia virginiana, Mahonias, Hamamelis, Calycanthus, Chamacyparis nootkatensis, Leucothoe & Prunus laurocerasus are all deer resistant and shade tolerant. How much shade do you have>

Kirk

3. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

hello kirk, always giving good advise i see. Send you an email soon
    Mke

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Juniperous, Many varieties and almost all are deer resistant. You did not mention wattering needs???? Now I know I would not go with junipers period as I dont think they look very good when they get older. Just a thought. Mohonia, like said before, is good, oregon grape, many holly's work well for deer resitance, most take shade well also.

5. kemmer

kemmer LawnSite Senior Member

Yes the area is very shady. I made a design and i have to meet with the customer on Monday. Im going with Skip Laurel, Cherry Laurel (in spots the deer cant get to them), Boxwoods, Larger variegated Boxwoods, Japaneses Skimma Males, Japanese painted furns, and Astilbe.

Ill post the design later hopefully. I still have to do another design by monday as well so we can finally schedule these 4 jobs that have been floating around.

One question tho, is there any type of sod or seed i can put down and get good results from in the shade? They have fine fescue in the side yard and in some other patches in the front. I'm having my tree guy come and take a look and see how much he can thin them out to get some much needed sunlight to the lawn.

Thanks
    Ryan

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Red Fescue, But the durability is crap. The best thing to do is get as much sun as you can and see if you can get at least 5 hours of direct light. Then mix a red fescue/ rye mix possibly add some blue grass to it. In really shady areas I try to find several varieties of the red and rye so that if one gets a disease then it still looks good. I have one yard that we redid and we put 7 different varieties of seed in it and it never has a problem with any disease as of yet, going on 4 years. Kind of over kill but when you hit problem areas then I would rather charge a bit more and have a better overall performance.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Kirk has some good plants in his list there. Be sure you advise the customer that NO plant is deer-proof and deer will eat anything. Deer resistant does not = deer proof. I mean cover yourself and be clear to them on this point.