1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

shady ground

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawn perfection, Mar 12, 2003.

1. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone tell me what the best grass seed for a yard that has litte to no sun. I live in middle tennessee (Nashville area).
    Would appreciate any help.
    Thanks Duke.

2. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

need to look at alternatives.

3. lawn perfection

Mike,
    What would be the best for this area(any grass). Hey it is a small backyard,I guess worst case we could pour concrete and paint it green.LOL

4. plowboy81

plowboy81 LawnSite Member

The best seed is going to be Rebel. Whether you buy rebel I,II,or III, there is absolutely no difference. It will grow good in shade and or sun.

5. lawn perfection

What type of seed (fescue, rye etc.) Any more info would be helpful.

6. ParkerLawn

ParkerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I am out of Bowling Green, KY and we have the same climate conditions as you in Nashville. I have had great luck with using a Creeping Red Fescue seed of high caliber. Rebel is good, Golden Eagle or Lesco seed has been what I am using most. Not to mention it is a much beter price compared to the others. i have gone in and had customers tell me they have tried everyhting and I aerate and powerseed with the Creeping Red Fescue and they have been amazed at the results.

7. UTM-PIKE

UTM-PIKE LawnSite Member

There are new varieties out on the market that were bred just for shade. One of them is Texas Bluegrass (two names that dont usually go together). I heard one of the proffessors at the University of Tennessee talking about it. Try to find more information. I go to Tennessee/Martin and my proffessors like a mix with creeping red and bluegrass and other shade tollerant varieties. I operate my business out of Clarksville and some species grow better here than in Martin. Its hard to grow bluegrass below Paris for the weather. To find the best mix, ask your local extension agent for your area. If your in the Nashville area, a mix with blue should be fine. I feel you should customize your mix for your area. Lesco, etc customizes a mix for an entire zone. It will work, but I think certain %'s of certain grasses should be higher/lower depending on where you live. You could probably just add to the mixes on the market.

8. lawn perfection

Thanks guys for all the helpful info.I will try some of these and let you know how it turns out.
    Duke W.

9. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

how long will it live with no direct sunlight?

10. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Mike you are right no such beast that grows with little or no sunlight.