Shady 'Scapers in KC and Illinois

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KCLandscape, Dec 20, 2007.

1. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I am a member of my city's tree board and recieved this set of messages forwarded to me by the public works director. I have never heard of them, but if they are coming to KC from Ill then they have to be hitting places in between. Just a FYI
    Message as follows:
    Kim,
    There are 3 nurseries from West Frankfort Illinois that we know of that may be doing business in the Kansas City area. Landscape Designs is listed as a certified dealer in Illinois and is owned by Ed Riddle's son. The other two, Jason's Nursery & Landscaping 403 N. Adams, West Frankfort and (Ed Riddle) Riddle Nursery, 609 W. 7th Street, West Frankfort are not listed as dealers in Illinois or Kansas. All three are alleged to be doing business in Kansas. They tend to work on weekends, are doing sub-standard work and do not honor their guarantee. We are very concerned about them bringing in EAB. We have also found live grubs in some of the root balls and suspect some of the trees may have come from Tennessee.

I talked to my counter-part in Illinois and they have been after this family for several years. They tend move into and out of an area pretty quickly and are not cooperative with government officials. They have been known to go into a forest, dig trees and sell them as landscape trees. Is there a way that we can spread the word among the developers to have them check with us to see if a company is licensed in Kansas before they recommend them?
    Bill

Program Manager
    Plant Protection & Weed Control
    P.O. Box 19282
    Topeka, KS 66619-0282
    785 862-2180
    bscott@kda.state.ks.us

Message # 2

I saw Bill Scott, Program Director for Plant Protection and Weed Control, earlier this month and offered to forward on what they know about the below landscaper(s) to you all. These folks are alleged to have come into the metro area on the weekend, work and leave before Monday morning. It's of great concern to KDA and should be to all of us because KDA has already found live grubs in rootballs of material they've planted. And as Bill mentions, who knows if they're transporting EAB, much less any other insect or disease that we don't want in our forests...The grubs were found in nursery stock planted in a subdivision in Overland Park.

I've told Bill I would look into how to connect with metro area developers and builders, but if any of you have any contacts or information about how to hook into that network, please let me know. If you see trucks, equipment or other signs of the below mentioned companies, please contact Bill Scott, KDA, as quickly as you can. If you hear of any work completed by these folks or going to be completed by these folks, also let Bill or me know as quickly as possible. It seems they've been very slippery to catch. Bill's contact information is at the bottom of this message. Please distribute to others in your organization that should also be aware of this potential problem.

Don't hesitate to let me or Bill know of any questions.

Kim

2. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

The state of Illinois is looking for these guys. They buy from uninspected nurseries, and quarenteed product and bring it here they spend alot of time around 150 highway in missouri, around 143 and south in Stilwell and Stanely, I saw them at 159 and 151 and 179 and 199 and quivera area. They deal with that nursery in Columubia, that went broke a couple years ago. They do deal with the alot developers in south k.c., and raintree villas. They come across the Misissippi at night so they do not get caught, they are linked to spreading the ash disease across the mississippi. They are in crew cab trucks flat beds chevy trucks big Kodiaks and a black Tarrus. Missouri is also looking for them, The black car goes door to door knocking like infamous mulch Gypsies, Yes some of their trees are from Mc Minnville too small of balls for our climate, and look at their product most is park grade material, but look in Stilwell and Springhill and Gardener and Greenwood we our own local competition with them at the auction houses and on street corners selling trees. I can catch them easy they are not to smart but our local enforcements have not cared about them for over 20 years., I even have some of their business cards, they work on weekends usually with a rough group of guys sleeping their own trucks. I have contacted local authoriites on both Kansas and Missouri and allowed them to know of their where abouts to no avail.

3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope you guys have more to go on than rumors spread by emails.

4. Travel'n Trees

No I have talked to them last year for the first time, and I have known of their work for years, and when my inspector came by.

5. KsMowerman

KsMowerman LawnSite Member

I am located, and do most of my work in the stilwell area, and I havn't really ever noticed any of the above companys. BUT there are soo many different companys that come throught the area, its hard to remeber everyone. If I can help in any way, just let me know. FWIW- the only "VENDOR" I have seen selling trees roadside in stilwell, is the older gentlemen that sits at the corner of 199 & metcalf. He sells trees, fruits, and all kinds of stuff, but i dont believe he is linked to who you all are talking about. CCG

6. Travel'n Trees

He is part of the local group.

7. KsMowerman

KsMowerman LawnSite Member

So your saying he is part of the shady tree sales? I guess you learn somthing new every day. I havn't ever personally bought anything from him, but there are alot of people stopped there buying stuff when we drive buy.

8. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

AGLA - Didn't you notice that this info came from one of the top guys at KS Dept of Ag. This is hardly a rumor, these guys are real and I dont want any of my customer's trees (or any tree in the state for that matter) getting EAB

9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I did notice that, but I only hope that you got it directly. I got some nice emails from Bill Gates a few times. I'm only concerned that it is too easy for someone to start passing misinformation to put the screws to someone and having people innocently passing it on without knowing just how true it is. Maybe it is legit, but I would really not want the liability of publishing something that was not true even if I thought it was true.

You probably feel the same way I do and checked it out beforehand, so you know it is not a problem.

10. Travel'n Trees

Our tree market is stupid cheap and I do not know why they would come here?