1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

shaft conversion

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rockytopp, Jan 4, 2005.

1. rockytopp

rockytopp LawnSite Member

Hey Gang,
    I have an twenty hp. Kohler twin. It was on a hydraulic pump of some sort. It does not have an out put shaft, I wonder is there a out put shaft conversion that would bolt to the engine and couple up to the star or torx drive set up that is now on it? I seems a shame that one could not use the engine and put it back to a pulley drive. Just food for thought. :)
  2. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Give me model and spec numbers. Kohler does a short shaft that bolts to the flywheel by means of for M8 bolts. Walker mowers use this set up on there machines. If you give me your model and spec numbers I will see it that short shaft will bolts up to you engine. Now the out put will be clockwise coming off the flywheek instead of counterclockwise like it would be coming of the back side (PTO side) so you would need to take this into consideration as to how you would use this engine. The only other way would be to take the engine apart and change out the crankshaft.
  3. Joe B J

Joe B J LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

if a v-belt is used, it can be twisted to reverse direction.
  4. rockytopp

Alrightie, here are the numbers off of the ID. tag.
    mod. CH 20 S
    Hope this will tell the tale. This unit has the center hole at the crank, with a recess for excepting bearing and a bolt on each side of center. then that plate is fastend with four bolts, as if you could put a gear reduction on it. how ever if the short shaft would bolt to the two center bolts, then the unit would only have to have a short shaft,bearing and ears that would allow it to bolt up with the two bolts. hope this makes sense. paul.
  5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

My research shows that engine was made for a crawler of some kind. I found a front drive shaft that should bolt right to your flywheel. You will have to cut a hole in the flywheel screen or get a new one. The shaft sells for about $100. It is Kohler part number 24 144 22-S

kohler front shaft.JPG
  6. rockytopp

thanks so much for your time and effort to locate the front shaft. This is certianly more cost effiecient than a new engine of this quality and hp. It is easy to get things done when there are so many helping hands here to lighten the load. again many thanks. Jiggs
  7. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Change the crankshaft.