1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shafted On My Website!!! Feedback Please

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by jlbf0786, Nov 8, 2006.

1. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Charlotte, NC

I found this guy on Craigslist, well he said he would create a nice website for a total of $350 (including a FREE month of hosting!!!) .... long story short THE SITE LOOKS LIKE CRAAAAAP, as you can see...he wants his money .."i told him IT LOOKS BAD already." but everytime he says he works on it it ends up looking worse than before, he even changed the LOGO ive been using for 3 yrs. now!! said he couldnt get the lettering to work out right....
    On top of that he shafted me on the 1 free month of hosting and had some lame excuse!!!
    I HAVE'NT sent him his $350 yet, and im not sure if I need to just take it as a lesson learned.... or tell the guy to SHOVE IT....and make one myself from a template!!!

(youll probably have to cut & paste the link)......sorry

Thanks All,

Sunrise Designs Landscaping & Lawn Care
  2. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

The setup is not bad IMO. The pictures and font are bad. Did you look at any work he had done before this? If not then I say your out and pay him. If his quality of work is not like he promised, or showed you, then give him a chance (yes again) to correct it. If he cant fix it I'd pay him part of it what you owe and see if you both cant cut your loss.
  3. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

a cheap job. No bang for the buck!
  4. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

:rolleyes: double check the grammar ,in about us it says [ran by[instead of run by.it would be nice if it had more photos of you're work.but for 350$ what did you expect
  5. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

Put yourself in his shoes, if he had you come out and put in a landscape, then he said it wasn't good at all and didn't pay you, what would you do?

The core concept is okay, two of the pages don't match the others, and I would suggest rewording some of the text (thats not his fault) and checking the grammar. Also mention your a licensed pesticide applicator (I assume) and any seminars you've attended or other things that can make your company stand out.

Where is the site hosted? are you able to update the site yourself?

I would have him fix the pages that don't match so they do, and pay him at least 75% of what he asked for, but don't pay for the first month-if he said free, than it needs to be free. Than take over the site yourself, update the pictures with your own (if any aren't) and make your email line black text not white, I almost didn't see it.

Next time, look at references first before committing!:waving:
  6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Well all I can say is that the bottom picture on your lawn maintenance block is ONE OF MY PICTURES OF A CUSTOMER I STILL HAVE!!!!!!! GET YOUR OWN DAMN PICTURES!!!!!! I spend countless hours trying to make peoples lawns look that good, not for you to take the credit! Get if OFFFF!
  7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

As flatering as it may be that you would use one of my pictures, I just think its pretty pathetic that you would need to use someone elses pictures to make yourself look good!!! It doesn't say a lot about you or your company.
  8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Might I suggest filing a copyright violation against this and file suit?

Also, to the guy that has the website... it looks to be very poor quality by who did it. I mean, the credit card logos on the bottom are not even decent quality... and they are provided by Visa,MC,Disc, etc for free as downloadable images for merchants to use in their advertising. Maybe try to get the guy to settle for half, and if he owns the registration for the domain name with your company name, then maybe offer him the other half to buy the registration for it so that you can create yourself a decent site somewhere else.
  9. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Nevermind Mr.Barringer, I see that you do indeed have the site registered to yourself. Pay the guy half, tell him to get bent, and then sit down for a while and use the "Website Tonight" tools from GoDaddy and make youself a little better looking site.
  10. rb_in_va

rb_in_va LawnSite Member
    from VA

All in all I would say it's not too bad. I'm not crazy about the font in the navigation bar, but that's an easy fix if the guy has set it up correctly. Why don't you get him to send you all the files, and settle on an amount you should pay him. He did do some work and deserves to be paid at least something. Did you have a written contract with specifications? Also, did you send him all the text and pictures to post? Or did he gather some things on his own?