Shall I keep my job or go back to lawncare

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zmowingmaster, Feb 22, 2007.

1. zmowingmaster

zmowingmaster LawnSite Member

Hi,
    Guys, I really need a good advice in this.
    I used to work in lawn care for four years, then a year and a half on my own.
    I switched jobs just because at one time when I used to sub,they owed me lots of money and I couldn't't handle it. It was the end of the season,so I had to get another job.
    I put my equipment that are all paid off on the side and started selling cars at a dealership. I've been here for two years so far, money is a little bit better but not that much better.
    I really like doing landscaping and staying out and having more free time,since selling cars is a 12 hour work a day for 5 days.
    Spring is coming and I am wondering if I shall start going back to lawn care or stay here and grow with the dealership,like getting into a better position.

2. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

flip a quarter, heads you stay at your job, tails you back into lawn care.

3. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

What about starting out part-time on weekends until you know you can make the change work. Yeah you could quit when it starts growing probably make it by until winter again then you need a job again, just saying if your going to do it,make plans for the long haul,not just the season. Build it up slowly get a good client base then tell them to "take this job and shove it." Best of luck in your decsion.

4. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Stay with your current job. There is already enough competition in lawn care!

Mike

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I'll throw my .02 in here as I'm going through the SAME thing right now.

I have another thread, you can search for it, but basically I cut grass through high school, made great money as compared to my friends, loved what I was doing until I realized I was going to have to sell the business, didn't set any goals for myself the last 2 years in business, got burned out and when I finally sold the business I felt like it was the best decision I ever made.

Truth of the matter is that I'm now 160 miles away from my home town going to college, letting go of the business was just how it had to be. For some reason, I have this urge to get back in it right now. I work in a restaurant bussing tables, make pretty good money and I work my @$$ off while going to college as well. What I suggest you do is keep your job and do lawns on the side. That way, you have a steady income to finance equipment purchases, or just keep your head above the water. The thing about business is that you're going to bleed for a while until you get going, you're going to be in the red for a while, so having that extra job to help patch those wounds is definately the way to go. This is my plan of attack if I do actually make it back into the business, just cut grass on my days off and hope I can start making enough money consistently to quit my restaurant job in a matter of time.

6. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

im shocked at how the first few responces tell you to keep working your butt off for about the same money at the car dealer. if you have a good head on your shoulder and make wise descions, there is no reason you cannot do much better with a landscape business. i did it for about 13years part time, and 2 years full time. im making good money and putting some away in IRA's, paying crazy health/fuel/truck payments and still have some money over to put into my house. i couldnt do that when i made $19.50/hr working with great bennefits. concider this my welcome back speach. hope it helps.

by the way, other the "NO" guys affraid of competition?? come on!

7. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

Stay with your job and start back your lawn business as part time and see if it picks up enough to do it full time

8. zmowingmaster

zmowingmaster LawnSite Member

Thanks guys.
    It is just confusing for me.
    I can do part time, and in the same time I think I might sub for the rest of the time. I have a company I used to work with,they can give me lots of accounts to sub at the beginning. The problem is to get them to pay me on time.
    I will try to work out a deal with them so I can get paid quicker from them.
    Again,thanks for the input I appreciate them.

9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Its really not something that I personally could decide for you...ya know? For me..I dont like dealing with a boss, and I enjoy working outside. If I can make a good living...then im happy with that. But thats just me.

10. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Do what makes you happy and what you enjoy most. I love working outdoors and can barely stand not having anything to do in the winter but stay inside and a wait for spring and when it gets here I'm outside all the time.