1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Shaperblade do they really self-sharpen?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jimmbo407, Mar 24, 2006.

1. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

I was looking at shaperBlades in turf magazine. "The mulching lawn mower blade has a cutting width of 17 to 22 inches and is self-sharpening, nonsparking and made of polymer." That is what the description says. Just wondering if they really are self-sharpening, how much and are they worth it?:usflag:

Thanks in advance for any info.
  2. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

How would it sharpen itself? Does it have a file that goes to work when you stop mowing? ;)

no such thing as self sharpening!
  3. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

yes there is, but having to pay the workman's comp on the elf is the downside:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

self sharpening is easy.

all they have to do is laminate constuct the blade and as the edge wears down the sides fall off exposing an new sharp edge.
    The problem isn't with self sharpening, the problem is with durability. Hit a rock, hit a big twig and you grenade a blade. Then the fact that it "sharpens" at a preset rate may dramatically decrease the life of your blade.
  6. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to ask about these blades, guess I dont need to now. I prefer my steel blades that will be repairable if they hit something.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That we have, they're called robomowers. You have to set up an invisible fence for them (like with flags) and 'train' it the first time around and oh by the way, I wouldn't leave the dog outside and make sure your yard has a VERY solid fence all around lol
  8. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

why even bother fixing a $10 blade?