1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

share tips with help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, May 10, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have 2 customers, that tip each and every week. they are billed monthly, but are always home, come out, and flip me a $10 bill each and every week. these are $30 weekly mows, and they are tipping $10 every week:drinkup: the question is- do you share this with your help?
  2. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

no, the mexi's you got helpin you did nothing to get the yard... you've worked hard to get that yard, and maintain it... I'd keep it myself, but thats just me
  3. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

since you only pay 37 bucks in gas a week, and from what i gather from your other posts, you seem to be making ok money. save the money each week and give it to them as a bonus. better yet, keep the money and when it adds up to enough, give them a payed day off. sometimes the warm fuzzies it gives you to be nice is worth more than the money. it's to bad that you have to ask about the twenty bucks a week. imo it is a given.
  4. Nope.

I'll tip my helpers if they need tipping. Buy 'em a lunch or something.

I don't want customers tipping my help either. When I tip someone, my mechanic or someone, I always ask his boss if it's OK.

It saves all that confusion about who they're actually working for.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Sure why not. When you stop for your normal 3 big macs for lunch, buy him a big mac too. Share the wealth. ;)
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Better than the 4 he used to consume Jodi...BG's watching his weight ya know these days.
  7. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Throw it in a jar and save it for an end-of-season blow out with the crew :clapping:

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

No , I dont share tips with the employees.As they are employeed by me and are a representative of my company. The excellent work they do is because of me, not them. Also when I find money on the ground, its mine. If they find it, its theirs.
  9. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

Whats that mean? You don't make enough from your guys that you need to keep the $20. Quit being so tight and full of yourself. Buy them lunch or something.
  10. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

do you give half to your partner? Or is all the excellant work yours