1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sharing Landscape Contracting Trade Secret

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mdvaden, Feb 21, 2005.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I was going to post this in the Web Site section tonight, but decided it may be broader in scope than that.

For at least a year, I've held off on sharing much at all about why my landscape website is the top rated Oregon site - primarily Google.

Now I'm going to write an article and paste it at the end of my articles page on my web site.

The info will go beyond just web ranking. It will show the use of a web site as a tool and info source for customers.

We rank in the top for landscaping, arborist and landscape designer.

I felt a risk to share before, but we have such a lead, as does my mentor, and I feel the time is appropriate to share my success.
  2. mdvaden

Okay - my opinion is up, and at the end as noted #28.
  3. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, :cool2: I am great looking, enjoy water sports, hang gliding,... well enough about me. Let's talk about myself for a while.
  4. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Lol ........
  5. mdvaden

Share some more. You posted about yourself on other forum sites. No need to cut it short here.
  6. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

what is this thread about anyway ???????? Please explain
  7. mdvaden

Web sites, but hopefully in a bigger picture than just web sites. Who knows, maybe the moderator will move the post to the web site forum.

But I see web sites as a bigger picture than advertising pages. It's networking, saving of resources, technology. That's why I stuck it here.

Hopefully the topic goes outside just the mechanics of site code.

For example, if you go to AGLAs profile and visit his site; if you have a 21" monitor; maybe a 19" monitor, the text disappears into the flowers on the right making the text barely legible. That's what I call code or the mechanics stuff.

This topic, hopefully gets into the networking aspect of a site, the effects of one, what it can do as a tool for a landscape contractor - aside from the site-building code and META tags.

A shovel is a tool. A backhoe is a tool. I see a web site as a commercial landscape tool.

How well a site performs or enables networking, to a degree, is kept as a trade secret by many people that have figured out how to make it do several functions for landscape contracting.

I think there is now safety for many ideas to come out of the hidden corners of landscape contracting.

"There is only one success - that is to give your life in service"
  8. Mowmoney00

Mowmoney00 LawnSite Member

:) Bravo <clapping>....Vaden thanks for the article, because that was a wealth of information for us to use in creating our website in the next couple of months!!!! I will definitely be reading it again in the future.
  9. mdvaden

Thanks mow money...

Also, this just came to mind today, but more and more, I'm able to post text on the site, enabling me to free the interior of my vehicle, or briefcase of various handouts or forms.

One is the landscape design questionnaire. People just go to my site, copy the text and print it out. I used to give a handout for watering advice - no need anymore. Seems all my customers have internet and printers.

So the web site tool is saving time, money, paper, ink, wear and tear on my printer and saving space.
  10. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

The brochures, instructions, and other literature are nice to offer and probably keep people interested and recommending the site.

There are some freebie pdf making programs that are available so that you can take your brochures and make them Adobe type pdf files for people to download. They set up just like a printer, but make the pdf's instead. It is handy for making files like ACAD dwg's viewable for people that can't open them as well. I use one by Acrosoft. I don't know if any of you want to make that type of file or how many have Acrobat, for what it is worth.