Sharing trenches part two

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Doing a project right now (well, I was until the snow), running a 3" main line into a 9 house nieghborhood. The 3" line is coming from a 6" non potable irrigation line that is fed by the Dungeness River. It feeds a lot of the farms around here.

Each house is going to get a 2" gate valve shutoff, and they can use the water for whatever the please for about half of the year.

The project is nearing completion, but the homeowners assocation decided they want to lay Cable TV lines in with our stuff since we have the trench open.

This would be fine if it was going to be direct buried, but they are going to lay 2" conduit in my trench....So we are going to be even more delayed.

I've decided I hate sharing trenches.

2. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure that's conduit is sprayed orange every 6" or orange line drawn the entire length so in the future, someone doesn't accidentally cut into the cable lines during a repair on a mainline break. I'm sure you already have this figured out, just a reminder.

3. Dirty Water

You want to paint 3000' feet of conduit?

Its grey conduit, marked with "COMCAST CABLE TV" every couple feet.

I think I wont need to mark it.

4. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

Nevermind then. I assumed it was plain PVC conduit that is common in this location that has a orange stripe on it. Some have the stripe, some don't.

5. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Why don't com cast just plow their conduit, thats pretty stupid to want their cable next to a 3" line. How high of pressure is the 3" going to have?
    I had a 6" on a golf course that the controlers quit working 3 years before the 6" finally let go, couldn't find the cause of the controller problem, bypassed it and found the root cause after the big one went, the friction of the water cut right through everything, then flowed under ground to the nearby pond.
    If you 3" has higher pressure it could cut the cable right in half.

6. Dirty Water

Its only about 50 psi, its a gravity feed line from the mountains.

The reasion the cable co is using my ditch is because of a cheap homeowners assocation. I'd prefer them to plow it myself.

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bet they aren't to happy about it either, seems to me like it would make more work for them. being in your trench they have to go where you go then jump out when needed then back in again, what a pain compared to just pulling point a to point b then on to point c ect.
    and are'nt all HOAs cheapp tight a$$es

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Hopefully your company isn't going to be liable if something were to happen to the cable if it's hit during repair work in the future? Guess all the homeowners could switch to Direct/Dish TV if that happens. :p

9. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

Worst case charge them for using it and delaying your project. Let the HA know that it would effect any warranty on your workmanship, etc. We all know what the right thing to do is. But then again we all know too well about owners trying to save every penny. Good Luck..

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Right on!!! But we all know what the HOA is gonna say. :cry: