Shark Grip

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by AllHardscaping, Feb 27, 2008.

1. AllHardscaping

AllHardscaping LawnSite Member

Does anybody use shark grip or other brands of a traction additive in their solvent based sealers. I think it is a polypropylene particle. Anyways, it adds some grit to the surface. Never tried it and looking to see if anybody knows how long it lasts on a typical residential foot traffic area.

2. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

I have used Shark Grip on painted wooden steps and it works well. It probably would not look good on pavers. I was rolling sealer onto pavers at my house and brought up some sand from the joints. It looked really bad even though traction was great. If you are worried about the sealer being too glossy and getting slippery try Techniseal IN Protector. It does not form a film on the paver.

3. AllHardscaping

Thanks for the reply. I use Techniseal WL sealer. I use the iN when the customer wants a natural look. I was told the shark grip is basiclaly invisible when introduced to a solvent based sealer. I gues I'll have to try it to see for sure. What type of wear did you get out of the steps? Does it last very long or was there ever a problem with it coming off? Thanks

4. mhilton

mhilton LawnSite Member

I use shargrip in all my outside decorative concrete work, On a medium traffic area like residential it last about 2 - 3 years depending on the sealer and how much you mix we put 3/4 of a bottle of shark grip to our solvent based sealer ( 5 gallons) just make sure you mix it real good then pour the sealer back and fourth in two 5 gallon buckets this breaks it up real well. You might want to stir so often so it does not settle or clump while you are sealing

5. AllHardscaping

Thanks for the reply. 2-3 years sounds pretty good.