SharkBite Fittings

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, May 26, 2007.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

So, I started the big memorial day weekend DIY Sprinkler install.

So far so good, we are hand trenching everything, and have 90% trenched out, one zone laid and backfilled, and the other zone half piped up.

Manifold is in, timer hung etc etc. I wish I had a digital camera.

Anyways, the cool thing was the Sharkbite Fitting. Our take off was a 3/4" Copper pipe. Huge thanks to Bryan for reccomending using that. I used a 3/4" Sharkbite X 3/4 FPT fitting and it was $3.50 at HD, having to buy a torch, flux/sodder and a copper fitting would have ran me more.

Anyways, I've never been a huge fan of compression fittings, but the sharkbite ones work excellent, I cleaned the pipe good, bevelled the edge and popped it on and I was done. Never seen an easier fitting.

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

How is the digging out there in your country?

i got a 100 ft trench to install a main feed in sandy farm loam!!!!Im psyked...I am charging 30 an hr plus the roll of poly pipe(free)....

These fittings sound interesting..i have some copper i will be working off of on the side....i dont want to buy all the plumbing stuff, maybe ill give them a whirl!!!

thanks for the heads up Dw

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I think the Sharkbite fittings are approved for installation behind walls, so that gives them a vote of confidence.

4. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

I will keep y'alls approval of sharkbites under advisement. My respect for your opinion will open a once closed mind. London what do you think?

5. I replaced a backflow on Friday that was soldered in 3/4" copper, went by the supply house to purchase some solder fittings and stopped at the sharkbite fittings and said "F**k that I'm doing it the old way, so I know it wont leak". We soldered the new backflow.

6. I used sharkbite fittings to install a drain on the water tap at a home this past winter....I liked it also.....

The only thing I don't like about them is that they are HUGE and look funny next to all the neatly soldered fittings...

But..they are fast fast fast......I may be using more of them in the future myself...