Sharp blade, dull blade...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOOLIE, Sep 2, 2006.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I always get new customers that ask "Do you use sharp blades?" Then when I tell them yes, they act like I'm lying :nono: It's like they think we conspire to mow with dull blades...the last person that asked me this, I told them "You know it's actually much easier and a bit faster to use sharp blades" They looked skeptical...

I seem to get asked this question more than any other non-billing question...anyone else get asked this??
  2. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

Yeah Hoolie I have been asked that question, and I tell them I change blades very frequent.

I've done something in past month that really has me wondering though...I have used both new blades and "just sharpened blades", and what I found is that after the first lawn they are considerable duller then when first put on. They seem to continue getting dull up until the 3 or 4 lawn then reach a certain point to where they don't become any duller. But my surprise was how fast they become dull, but yet the cut doesn't seem bad or any worse then the first lawn. We have very sandy soil up here, very sandy. And I know that contributes greatly to take the edge off but dang, anyone else experience that?

Sorry Hoolie, did I just hijack your thread??:confused:

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

:laugh: :laugh: Thread Hijacker :laugh:

Interesting observation Buck, I don't really notice much difference on the first day unless I've really hacked thru some crabgrass or really wet grass.

I think a lot of customers think by using dull blades, we save either a boatload of time or money :laugh: I don't think most of 'em could even tell a sharp-blade cut lawn from a dull-blade cut...:laugh: Yet they are very concerned about all this :laugh:
  4. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO Some blades are softer material than others.
    Making steel Is like baking a cake...You can add a bit of this or that ...a beer or get the picture.
    Its the RC value That determines the hardness and the toughness of the blades that we all buy these days.
    I think some are just a tad too soft.
  5. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

I use all Oregon blades. And now that I think about it, I think the OEM blades lasted much longer eventhough they were a thinner blade, hmmmm. May have to try something other then Oregon and see what happens.

Sorry Hoolie...:eek: You can hijack my next thread. BTW, you get hammered with rain out there right now? Ernesto is in your neck of the woods I think.

6. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Never had anyone ask this question. but I imagine if they did they would ask me if I could stop sharpening them so that I could charge a little less.
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ive noticed that too Buck, seems blades fall off fairly fast but the cut seems to be the same

8. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

if the blade is getting noticeably duller after one lawn, you may be oversharpening it (to thin of an angle) or what you are feeling may be the curl over from sharpening and you may not be starting with a true "v" but more like a "v" with a lip and when the lip goes it seems quickly dull.

I find that after 3-4, 1/4 acre yards it is appreciably "not as sharp" then it stays that way for at least 4 more. Then if I try to cut bahia after that. well lets just say it would be quicker to change the blades. But then go back to a St augustine yard and I can get 4 more easy.

Daily blade changes here in sunny (and sandy) florida, if not sooner.
  9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have never in my life had anyone ask me that. I feel neglected.
    Something must be prompting them to ask if you're getting that question a lot. Maybe something in the news or something. You know how the local channels have to fill time because there really isn't hard news. I know I've had a lot of pesticide questions after some dingbat newsperson spewed his "knowledge".
  10. WildLake

WildLake LawnSite Senior Member

Never been asked that either. I do notice that the first lawn on sharp blades makes a different noise as the grass is cut. That noise quickly fades away. Just sounds a bit different with freshly sharpened blades.