Sharp blades really needed?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnworks, Oct 31, 2000.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Are sharp blades needed when mulching leaves? I mean think about it. What would crush a leaf more a baseball bat or a machete? I think the baseball bat would, right? So dull blades might do a better job.:)

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Bludgeon the nasty things into submission! They will give up after a while!

Homer

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

exceptions to every thing.Tellit Homer

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Of course sharpe blades are needed in mulching leaves. Cuts way down on the time needed to do the job. Dull blades may never completly be able to do certain leaves

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You need sharp blades until the grass quits growing and it is still growing here. Temperatures are still getting up in the 70's and we are still getting some rain, so it's growing a couple inches a week.

Dried up leaves a dull blade will be fine, but the moist maple leaves will cut up better with a sharp blade. It all depends on the conditions, but I keep them sharp until the second week in November. After that, the grinder will be getting a break.

6. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I would use sharp blades.

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Try installing your blades on upside down. Thats about as dull as you can get!

8. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I tried cutting a piece or rope with the back side of a razor blade. It didn't work too well..

Just my .02

9. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a lazer & a turf tracer with the mulching kit, when the blades get dull,it doesn`t mulch as good, have to go over twice to mulch them up as good as when the blades are sharp. KEEP THEM SHARP!

10. JJ Lawn

JJ Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use my old blades that I have retired from grass cutting. I sharpen and balance them and use them for leaf mulching. Use them a week or two, then throw them in the scrap pile.

Jim