Sharp Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smartgene, May 18, 2002.

1. Smartgene

Smartgene LawnSite Member

I want to keep sharp blades on my 21's. A few questions. Are blades standard or machine specific? I mulch, is that a different blade from just a cutter? I don't have any equipment for sharpening so what system should I use? I was thinking of having my dealer sharpen the blades? What about balancing? How is is done? Is it vital with 21s?

Also wanted some feedback on Floating deck vs fixed and advanced steering vs pistols. I'm really favoring the Exmark Metro HP 48. Good choice? Is the micro mulch system a winner?

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like your overhead's pretty low. Invest in a 39.00 bench grinder and keep the blades sharp. Invest in a 2.00 plastic balancer and keep them balanced. If your mulching use a mulching blade, bagging, use a high lift for the suction.

Don't know about the walk-behinds.

3. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

If you're cutting for a living, get a dedicated blade grinder. It's the single most important investment I've made. Get a good balancer while you're at it.

Yes, the mulchers are different blades with longer cutting surfaces (at least on my Toro Proline 21").

The micro mulch system works good on my Exmark 36", but not as well as my 21" Prolines. ;)

4. tim cooper

tim cooper LawnSite Member

where can i find the plastic blade balancer you mentioned?

5. Lawn Man 5

Lawn Man 5 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Your Local hardware store should have them. I just bought one yesterday for 3.00

6. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

i have recently found out that my vice and 4inch grinder works better for me then the bench grinder. i feel like i have a lot more control over the angle. yall may disagree but it just works better for me.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

The vise and 4' grinder work the best for buck,especaily if you do not sharpen often.If you sharpen often the dedicated grinder is the best setup,but if you have a lot to take off the 4" grinder works better,IMO.,and is 8X cheaper.Keep those blades real sharp,it only takes a few seconds to get them sharp again,and they cut greta,i sharpen evey 4-8 cutting hrs.

8. Smartgene

Smartgene LawnSite Member

Hi TG Cummings,

Could you send me an email at smartgene@aol.com

I'll respond once I have your email.

Thanks a million,
    Gene