sharp line with Roundup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stonewall, Apr 25, 2001.

1. Stonewall

Stonewall LawnSite Senior Member

Is it possible to spray Roundup (or another grass/weed killer) in a tight line around beds/trees that don't creep back into the turf? I have lots of mulched beds and trees to spray around, but I haven't done much spraying in the past. I know to watch out for the wind and beware of drifting. I wasn't sure how far away from the actual spray contact area the effect would take place.

2. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

usually the narrowist I can get it is about 3 to 4 inches it all depends on the root systems of the grass. If you are trying to cut down on weed eating try a growth regulator. I forget the exact name but you can goto your local lesco and ask for it. It is expensive but it is another option. Hope this helps

3. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

I can get and approx. 1" gap between fescue and fence lines. I only do this on the inside of the fence, for curb appeal. I also ask the customer if it's o'kay with them before spraying. Some care and some do not. I have two Echo back pack sprayers and have excellent results spraying anywhere from 1" paths to spraying large areas.

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

maybe its a regional thing, but around here its unacceptable to edge trees and such with chemicals vs trimmer. Its to the point that, when filling out bid packages, they specifically prohibit chemical edging (seems to give a propeerty that ultimate "scrub" look).

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

if youre also doing new mulch installation, i use a product called PREEN. the stuff works really well for preventing weed growth.

6. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i use to use a barrier id made from an old pool
    reinforcement. just set it up around area to be sprayed . in a pinch cardboard will work. later on

7. cajuncutter

cajuncutter LawnSite Senior Member

MBD Try out LESCO 's version of preen....SAme thing 1/2 the price

8. turfguy33

turfguy33 LawnSite Member

I still use Round Up around areas that are hard to trim around like behind air condition units and behind down spouts.
    I use to use Round up around fences too, but I got tired of spraying once a month, so now I use a chemical called Primotal or Sahara. Its a bare ground herbicide, this stuff is great, spray it once, and you don't have to worry about growth for almost the entire season......It's great, only downfall is you cant spray around trees or landscape because it has a tendency to leach.
    Also, the growth regulator is called embark, its good stuff, but is not worth the cost in my opinion.

9. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

If you have any st augustine grass I wouldn`t use it around tree rings.st augustine is a `runner` type` grass so your kill zone might be larger than you wanted.
    Dave

10. powerreel

powerreel Banned

I do a chemical edge on everythimng, I use a fan nozzle. When it lights up I take a stick edger to it and you wouldn't even know a guerilla with a backpack had been there. (even ivy)