Sharpen blade: buy tool or pay?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by MrC, Apr 11, 2007.

1. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Are there inexpensive tools to make sharpening lawn mower blades easier? I've seen a few at hardware stores but I don't know how effective they are. I'm not willing to spend the money on a grinder so am I better off paying to have it sharpened?

2. xtrim

xtrim LawnSite Member

I'm not recommending anything other than grinders, you might dull the blade more than sharpening it with other tools. Get a DIE GRINDER, they are cheap, and can do the work, I've seen them for as low as $10, thats probably as much as you'll spend on those "inexpensive tools"

3. DCE

DCE LawnSite Senior Member

You can buy an angle grinder relatively cheap [lower end Black & Decker or some other off-brand and not a Dewalt, Bosch, or Makita...get into those three and your prices will increase] and sharpen blades yourself. I have a Dewalt 28402 4 1/2" angle grinder that I use a 60 grit flap wheel on to grind my blades. For years I've toiled away on a bench grinder but those things are really slow compared to an angle grinder. The only way you can take out dings in the cutting edge of a mower blade is to use a grinder of some sort.

4. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I don't typically like to buy single use tool but if I can find it for under $20 I won't mind it as much. Would a Dremel work? I don't own one but I've been looking for a reason to buy one.

5. 1turfguy

1turfguy LawnSite Member
    from ma

send it out.. it will be cleaned sharpened and balanced..your turf and mower bearings will show you their appreciation

6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I have owned and worn out several Dremel tools. Personally I do not think that they are up to this task. They are just not large enough and lack power to do the job in a reasonable length of time. The stones are not large enough to have a decent linear speed.

That said if you take enough time and go slow it will do the job. Personally I use a bench grinder. Other good choices are belt sanders ( mounted so you can hold blade, not sander) or the rigs that use like a 36" x 1" belt ( I have used one and it does a good job) . I have not tried a n angle(hand held) grinder but I can see where it would be fast.

7. hsvhobbit

hsvhobbit LawnSite Member

I use a cheap chinese angle grinder (cost me around $12) and put a high quality wheel on it to sharpen my bushhog and mower blades. Takes around 30 sec or so per edge. Don't sharpen them razor sharp and the cutting edge lasts a lot longer.

Dremel would take probably 15 min per blade at the fastest and I'd go through a couple of grinding wheels per blade.

If you get a big nick, take the blade off to sharpen it and check the balance.

The grinding wheels with an angle guide that you put in your drill may work but they're so slow it's painful.

8. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

any names or links on a cheap angle grinder/die?

9. BRAD ROMEO

BRAD ROMEO LawnSite Member

are you guys in business to make a living or for the fun of it
    buy a blade grinder & balancer 450.00 and your good for a long time

10. starheel44

starheel44 LawnSite Member

I believe this is posted in the homeowners forum, so probably not in a lawn care business.