sharpen blades

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dstifel, Oct 12, 2012.

1. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

What do you guys use to sharpen your blades? I know they make an attachment for dremels? Share your techniques!

2. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

The attachment for a Dremel is worthless IME. I now use a Bradley Blade Sharpener but I got along fine for 5 years with a angle grinder with a flap disc. I use a cone balancer, some say it isn't accurate enough but I haven't had any problems yet.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I have used everything from a flatfile, angle grinder, flapper wheel and drill. I always come back to my 70 year bench grinder with an adjustable tool rest to keep the 30 degree angle right.

Next 5 posts will be from Magna owners that are convinced there is no other way than an expensive dedicated machine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. dstifel

How do you balance them sorry I've always had my grandpa do this for me and he no longer can. Should have paid better attention

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

A little plastic cone. HD has them for less than ten bucks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

On commercial units, I use an angle grinder, either air or electric. Usually I sharpen em in situ. On the smaller chit, I always use my air die grinder with a 3/4dia. carbide cylindrical burr. Absolutely will not burn the edge! If they are really bad I might use my angle grinder first, but always finish with the carbide cutter.
    If I remove em to sharpen, I always balance em' with a magnetic unit, the same one that advertises on here.

7. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

The hot lick:
    004.JPG

005.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

8. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

9. dstifel

So u just put them on the cone and make sure it sits level? MY have to take some more off of one side or the other?

10. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

It it leans to the right, take some more off the right side.