sharpen blades

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dstifel, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Angle grinder and Magnamatic balancer.

2. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a MM then I'll grab a bolt out of the bolt bin and hold it in my hand and balance it that way. It works for me. The only reason I have a MM is because I found it in a pawn shop and knew what it was. The owner just thought it was a new bench grinder. Before that I used an angle grinder like everyone else. I would never go back to that.

3. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

You lucky dog.

4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I'm afraid to ask how much you paid for it LOL

5. joe billy

joe billy LawnSite Member

Just got a new samsung. Galaxy S Relay 4G that allows me to view any webpage in desktop:waving:

6. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

I can do the same on my Iphone 4 but is harder to navigate than the mobile version.

7. Belgium

Belgium LawnSite Member

We sharpen the blades on a sanding belt but i have a little question. The blades should be balanced but should they be perfectly balanced because they aren't straight on the crankshaft (in case of a ztr, with a push mower they should be balanced perfectly, i know)
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

They should always be balanced. A balanced blade helps reduce the side load on the spindle bearings. Thus they run cooler and last longer.:usflag:

9. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Silver Member

Most ZTR blades I sharpen on the mower, and thus , don't balance. Unless they're in really pi$$ poor shape.
    Most push mower blades should be balanced, but again, if they ain't all messed up, I sharpen in place and don't balance.

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

I always seem to have crap wrapped around lower shaft and spacers.:usflag: