1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sharpen or new?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tharrell, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I took my standard blades and Gators in for sharpening. Just for kicks I asked to see a couple of new standard blades. Wow, I couldn't believe how much had been ground off my old ones. Probably an inch or more narrower than new ones. I usually use my Gators but, I put the new standards on and the stripes are AWESOME. My old standards didn't fit "exactly" over the new ones either. I was told they are more prone to bend, warp whatever, when they're down that far. The old standards still cut good but, I'll save them for the "bush hog" yard I do.
  2. Frank Lopez

Frank Lopez LawnSite Member

New blades are always nice if you can afford them, your right about the amount of blade that gets sharpened off. If and when you decide to purchase your own blade grinder you will notice that you will remove about 1/2 inch of material. Also it depends on whether you hit something, there are times when I'll hit a rock,steel, because grass is out of control and I'll have to take 1/2 inch off . Besides that I got tired of paying 5.00 for each blade to get sharpened.