Sharpening - Balancing ????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jeff1207, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Jeff1207

Jeff1207 LawnSite Member

Sharpening - Balancing ??? I know this is a question that asked alot but im new and dont have a clue..I cant afford $1000 or more on a trick blade sharpener so will an old sears bench grinder work ? What angle do you sharpen, and whats up with balancing is that something that has to be done ? and how . thanks for any help...
  2. orangejbird

orangejbird LawnSite Member

I do mine with a 4 1/2" angle grinder. I clamp it to the side rail of the trailer and grind away (use eye and ear protection) Takes about 30 seconds per edge.
    The angle grinders work quick and clean using back and forth motion to shape cutting edge. Balance on a nail or bolt sticking out from . . . (something)
  3. desert rose gardening

desert rose gardening LawnSite Senior Member

I use the biggest file I have about 18 inches, and count 25 passes on each side of the blade, and by doing the same amount of passes on each side it comes out balanced. I have been doing that for 20 years, at the price of the file, maybe $25.00? It works for me.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Use whatever you want when sharpening, but the only way to get a real balance is the Magna balancer. Anything else and you are fooling yourself. I know, I fooled myself for several years.
  5. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Try the MEG MO blades and will run 8 to 10 times longer between sharping and are balance all the time when running. Just use a 4 inch angle grinder to sharpen.
    DLCS likes this.
  6. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I sharpen with a bench grinder and balance on a nail. Keep the same angle as was originally honed onto the blade. You want the blade balanced for a quality cut and reduced wear on the mower shaft running the blade.

Fancy/expensive blade grinders and the Magna balancer are definately worth the price but I've found over the years my method works just fine. Sure, it's not as precise but it works well especially when money is tight.
  7. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I too use a 4.5inch angle grinder. Home depot, about $50. Works great. You can buy sharpening wheels of different grit, depending on how much you want to take off. Takes some practice. but once you get it down, you'll do it in your sleep. Definitely takes me a bit longer than other dedicated grinders, but like most I have more time than money!

As far as balancing....those who use the good balancers can tell you that even the blades they put on at the dealer (brand new) are out of balance before you've cut one blade of grass. So, my question: If the manufacturers send out mowers with blades out of balance, how bad can it be. I use a cheapo balancer from the hardware store. It's nothing fancy, but it shows when something is WAY out of balance. Then, I fix it, and keep cutting. The money you spend balancing may be too much....just get it close..that's what the dealers and blade manufacturers do.
    DLCS likes this.
  8. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with the above. have you ever balanced your blades, then ran them for a hour and then rechecked the balance. Once the cutting, they don't stay balanced very long. I haven't balanced blades for about 2 years and no excessive vibration or spindle problems yet.
  9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

yep thats how I do it. A 4 inch angle grinder works great with a flap style sanding disc. :)
  10. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I use a 7" angle grinder. it goes a lot quicker than a 4.5" and I can't see that it remover any more metal than the 4.5". Use a cheap blade balancer to get them as close as I can to being balanced.