Sharpening Blades // Price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by b727guru, May 5, 2005.

1. b727guru

b727guru LawnSite Member

For those of you who don't the luxury or space to have your own grinder; how much do you pay to have your mower blades sharpened?

I found this old gentleman that works on residential mowers and I asked if he could sharpen blades and he said the for $3 each he'll keep them sharp for me.

Is this a good/fair price? He's only like a mile from my house so convenience is key.

Thanks for your input.
  2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I think that is probably as cheap as you will find and would go for it. Just make sure that he balances them also though.

I sharpen my own but looked at the "price board" when I was in one of my dealers the other week and those dudes are charging $7.50 per blade! Heck, I can buy brand new AFM's for $10 a blade. ;)
  3. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I'm charged $4.50 a blade for balance & sharpening.
  4. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Our charge (for blades that are worth sharpening) is $2/edge, making a regular blade $4. Now, you folks with those dammed Snapper Ninja Blades get to pay a little over $9 a blade, because they can't be run through the grinder and take longer to hand sharpen.
  5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Not a bad price as long as he is doing it correctly. Balancing is also important.
  6. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here the cheapest place i have found to sharpen blades was $5.00 each and the do a awesome job. I have a grinder but i would rather pay $15.00 for extremely sharp bades than me do then and waste my time and then they arent that good.
  7. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

Talk about a scrub! Only $3 a piece? Does he have insurance on that? Paying taxes?
  8. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

my dealer sharpens mine sometimes for the minimum shop fee of $12.50 for all three blades.
  9. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

what are these blades off of, does the price reflect at all on the blade size or an w/b or an ztr or an push mower?

or is the price always just a flate rate charge per blade?
  10. splatz100

splatz100 LawnSite Senior Member

$3 if on mower
    $1 if taken off of the mower

All Done By My Dealer