1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sharpening Blades With An Angle Grinder?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NORTHMAN, Apr 11, 2008.

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm a solo operator with 1 ZTR and a 21" WB,i don't currently sharpen my own blades,I know theres some dedicated blade sharpeners out there but for the amount I would have to sharpen it dosen't make sense,what about an angle grinder?What do I need and how do I do it?Thanks for any help.
  2. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i sharpen mine with a angle grinder, just don't put too sharp of an edge on it, it will dill out faster, take a look at a new set and try to replicate the edge on them
  3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, angle grinder works fine for me. I don't worry about balancing them, etc. I just try to be consistent on both sides. Not wearing out spindles or anything crazy like that. Been doing it this way for years...
  4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

For 22 years thats how we did it. It wasnt till last spring that we got a dedicated blade grinder. WHAT A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! The blades are always the correct angle now. They last alot longer because you remove less material each time and the blades stay sharp longer due to the correct angle every single time you sharpen them.
  5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Angle grinder for me...I sharpen mine all of the time...I am better about sharpening my blades then likely most people...I hate ragged brown tops. I going to upgrade to a bench grinder so that I can keep my angle closer to original...dedicated machine for sharpening is too costly for me right now.
  6. I Too Am A Solo Operation. I Used To Use A Blade Grinder Which Is Effective, But I Finally Ponied Up And Purchased A Oregon Blade Grinder And A Magna-matic Blade Balancer. Big, Big, Difference, Especially In The Balance Of The Blades. Way Smoother Operation Of Mower Deck. I Also Seem To Notice Longer Use Out Of A Set Of Blades. Good Luck. Take Care.
  7. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

even the ones that lesco used to sell are much better than a bench grinder.

the important thin is the consistent angle. and by are taking off less material you don't over heat and ruin the temper of the blade.

if you are somewhat mechanically inclined, you can make a guide for the bench grinder.. the get to longer blade life is consistency on the sharpening., and not running over rocks....
  8. J & D Greens

J & D Greens LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using my Delta belt sander (with 120 grit and a water trough next to it) to sharpen my blades, I balance the as I go. It works great for me this way. Some one said they don't sharpen them too sharp, but I make them as sharp as I can with keeping the proper angle.
  9. greg1

greg1 LawnSite Member

i use a 4" hand grinder with a flap disk. I let my blades rust up a bit and then just shine the edges. piece of cake and the blades keep going and going and going........
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

An angle grinder works fine. With a bit of practice, you can get towhere you have a pretty consistent bevel, and a smooth bevel as well. Just make sure you keep your blades balanced You don't need a fancy hundred and some dollar balancer...a cone balancer (a couple of bucks) works fine.