Sharpening blades...yet another

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Poncho25, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

question...I know its been asked before but just am lazy to sort through all the old threads. I have been using this grinder thats a wet grinder but it doesn't really grind the blades, it does give it a bit of an edge, but only lasts about a day or so...I like very sharp blades and was wondering what you guys used. Here in Fla we have very thick blades of grass so keeping a sharp blade to me is very when answering also please give your opinion on what blades you use also, I currently have a 44Z Toro and a 34z Gravley
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Dosn't matter what you use to sharpen them, if it's sharp with one thing and it only lasts a day then using soemthing different isnt going to make it stay sharp longer. Now that's half true... If you overheat the blade too much it eventually looses it's "temper" (the hardness of the metal) and will dull more quickly. A wet grinder, providing its large enough to do the job, would be perfect for blades since it wouldn't heat them up.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You need to get a better guality of blades.....Scag blades will hold a edge good enough to cut for two weeks..... We cut St Augustine and Bermuda. And we use an angle grinder with sanding pad. But we don't cut any weed fields and it is weekly cuts or bi-weekly at most.
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

your soil is different than ours then. And you don't cut Bahia.

In Florida, you need to change blades daily (4 hours of usage) or the cut quality or speed of the mower decreases. Cutting strictly lush manicured St. Augustine, you might get 8-10 hours, but cutting any bahia or any areas that have exposed sand just kills the edge.

You just have to buy multiple sets of blades and always have 2 sets sharp.
  5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Sand definately kicks ther arse. I usually get 6 hours from a sharpening on my gravely mulchers. Dont let them get too dull or it takes longer to sharpen and takes more material off the blade.
  6. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

Very sharp blades also dull faster. After you sharpen the blade, run the blade horizantally across the grinder lightly to take the edge off.
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

That's a myth... So you sharpen them and then dull them to make them last longer? All that does is decrease the amount of time between sharpenings. I sharpen mine to a razor edge every time, have for years, and have no problems. If I wanted to cut with half dull blades I'd only sharpen them once a week. I cut about 50/50 sand and loam/clay. Yes the sand wears on the blades very fast, and this sand is nothing as bad as that in florida and some other places.