1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sharpening blades....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by aewie, Feb 19, 2006.

1. aewie

aewie LawnSite Member

I have heard of bench grinders that make it easier to sharpen blades and make them last longer.... any help???
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Hand held 4" angle grinder will do just fine and works well on the curvy mulch blades. You simply put on a grinde wheel with sandpaper on top and it works just fine.
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

If you have the extra bucks to shell out, Invest in a blade grinder! Definitly worth it! Bench grinders are decent as are hand grinders. Magna-matic blade balancers are also a bit pricey but worth the moeny!!
  4. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have to take the blade off to sharpen them with this method?
  5. jmkr02

jmkr02 LawnSite Senior Member

You still have to take the blade off to balance unless u like the vibration.
  6. Freddy_Kruger

Forgot about that, where's my shopping list now..:hammerhead:
  7. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

Magna-matic make a great sharpner and balancer. I've had mine for about 5months and love it. My local shop charges 3.00 a blade for sharpening so I figure at 10 bucks plus gas and time it was a no brainer to buy a quality sharpner. :drinkup:
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I switched to this system last year in late summer. it seems to take less material off the blade and in turn will make the blades last longer

9. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

we sharpen our blades daily on the riders and sur proffesional balde grinders they work incredible and fast. one of our best investments. we have about 15 sets ready, and when we run low we sharpen them all at once
  10. Freddy_Kruger

How do you balance them? I can't find any balancers except for that magnetic 200 dollar one.

I read at howto.com you can balance them on a dowel, if one side touches the table shave a little off the other side. True?