Sharpening blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigcountry01, Mar 6, 2007.

1. bigcountry01

bigcountry01 LawnSite Member

I am looking for the easiest and fastest way to sharpen my blades...lookin for any suggestions. Do u all take the blades off the mower everytime u sharpen them? use an angle grinder, bench grinder? i sharpen them about every few days usually in the morning before work so i need somethin fast. Just wanderin if there is anything i havent thought of

2. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, blades have to come off.

A blade grinder (pick your favorite brand) works great.

A blade balancer is a good investement too.

3. bigcountry01

bigcountry01 LawnSite Member

i know some guys sharpen them with a file while they are still on the mower...i guess just for a quick touch up

4. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

I sharpen my blades every day. have to take them off. hand held angle grinder works best. put the blade in a vise or just use a pair of vise grips and the angle iron on your trailer. just be careful there are no gas cans around, pay attention to where the sparks are flying.

5. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

The best way to sharpen your blades is to remove them and sharpen them. Using a blade grinder is a very easy way to get them done quickly and properly. As "Eclipse" says in a previous post, you should also balance the blade. Click on the link below, we have both grinders and balancers available. Thanks Jay

6. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

We have the hardware store next to us sharpen them at a fairly cheap price. Usually take a few sets at a time. They put a nice edge on and have it done by the end of the day. This allows me to keep working on other stuff. We only use them so they give us a break. They also balance the blades when needed.

7. johng

johng LawnSite Member

I take them off and use a file but I sharpen pretty often. I bolted a vice to the side of my bench so the angle is easy to reach. It goes pretty quick if you have a good file but it's a pain if you hit metal and need to remove a lot of blade.

8. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

9. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

angle grinder with flap disc. 120 grit I think in a vice

10. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I take the blades off and use an angle grinder. never had any problems. I do make sure the blades come out fairly well balanced.