1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sharpening blades

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by fastrackguy, May 7, 2007.

1. fastrackguy

fastrackguy LawnSite Member

I have been having proplems with my 18/44 fastrack leaving uncut grass behind since last year. I even tried new blades. Now about the only solution I have found was to change the angle of the edge of the blade when I sharpen them. This time I ground the blades down to more of a knife edge than a chopping edge and the problem has been solved for know. I will let you know if it comes back as the blades dull again. Also...does anyone here run doubles on a 18/44??????? if so what is the setup like???
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

How old is your mower?
    Does it have the wider discharge opening?
    I would also think about running the Fusion blade with the longer cutting edge.
    Let me know.

3. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

I like the longer cutting edge on the newer blades, but I wouldnt recommend the Fusion Blades. I have 30 hours on my new super Z, and the blades are basically junk as far as Im concerned. The Fusion "chunks" out, and when you resharpen there are basically parts of the cutting edge missing. Im not going to say Ive never hit anything, but the regular blades are 1/3 the price and I get more life out of them.. Just my opinion.
  4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Fusion blades are not "junk", if you get dings or "chunks" then you hit something, and that is going to happen and we understand that.
    We put the best blade on our commercial mowers that is available and 99% of the end users don't have any issues with them at all.
  5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You got some kind of problem partner. I have been running them since they went in production for Hustler and there is not a better blade out there. I have 200 hrs. on my Super Z since last year and I went last week and bought two new sets of the fusion blades. I cut through so many fire ant mounds a regular blade would be dull in a few hours but the fusions are good to forty or fifty hours and cut grass like a razor blade.

There is always a possibility you got some and the metal composition was off a little. I have never heard anything but praise for the fusion blades, you are the first one that has mentioned a problem, give them another chance.
  6. nick858

nick858 LawnSite Member

I think there was a misunderstanding here. I didnt mean all Fusion Blades were junk. I was just talking about the ones on my mower after my 30 hours of use. Yes I have probably hit things, but with the regular blades you can sharpen the dings out, but it seems with the Fusion it takes a bigger chunk out than on the regular blades. In the line of use I give the blades, It is far more economical to buy aftermarket non-fusion blades for $7 a piece, than to buy $25 a piece Fusion Blades. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
  7. Gizmo_019

Gizmo_019 LawnSite Member

It's been awhile since I've been on here, but here goes my opinion. My Hustler came with Fusions when I bought it new last year and I stretched 65 hrs out of them, I mean stretched. I had 45 hrs on it before the first sharpening, but after that, I was sharpening them every week, and I don't mow alot, maybe 10-15 hrs a week ( college student, plus part-time job, blus mowing )

I cut mostly bahaia grass, which is super rough on blades though. I went though a regular set last year too, put them on at 65 hrs and ran them till the end, used them up pretty much too, they have 60 hrs, but I could still cut with them in an emergency if I had too. Bought a new set of regular for this sears, started with them, and have them on now, been sharpened about 6 times. Got 25 hrs on them so far.

My advise, keep your blades sharp, if mine get dull it misses grass like crazy and you have to slow down, sharpen them back up and run it wide open it never misses a beat. Really debating on trying some gators or maybe running double regulars just for a change to see if I get get a better cut on bahaia :confused:
  8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

The Fusion blades are not 25 a piece, even paying freight and tax on them they aren't that much.
    Even with parts pricing varying from dealer to dealer they are not 25 a piece.

9. kh971

kh971 LawnSite Member
    from GA

Well here goes my 2 cents. It depends on how you are sharpening your blades too. I have seen many a person clamp them on a table and take a grinder and starting laying on them to make them ultra sharp, while unecessarily overheating the blade. This takes out the temper of the blade, and makes the steel much weaker. This might cause the chunks coming out of the blade, where it overheated.
  10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

He's not the first one to dislike Fussion blades. I tried a set for a coulpe days and thru them out.