Sharpening Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBoy627, Feb 5, 2013.

1. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

If you don't have the big bucks to spend, I find that a vise and a 4 1/2 angle grinder is the best way to go. With practice you can keep your ground edge straight w/no problem.

There's also pics of a home made setup here that looks really good. (If my memory's right, the builder even included specs on how to make it). It's made using an angle grinder (what we refer to as a "side grinder") and plywood. I don't have the link but look around here and you'll find it.

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

3. MTenterprises

MTenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I've been using a handheld for last couple years and it does the trick. I sharpen blades a few times per week and keep 3 or 4 sets ready to go. Sharp blades make for cleaner cuts and longer lasting spindles / equipment. :usflag:

4. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

5. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

I been looking into them I don't want to spend a grand on one though jeez but I am 36 and already getting RA or early signs my mother has it bad so guess I picked it up.

I read a bunch on the Oregon ones but not much positive from the owners what is a good mid-range one that will get the job done right?

I am solo I keep a set of blades for everyday and put fresh ones on early in morning before I leave out do my sharpening on Sundays with 4.5" angle grinder and it is killing me now.

I can't see how people go 2 days or more with same blades but I'm in South whole different level of grass here nothing treated.

6. I started out using a bench grinder but, once I found out how good of a job you can do with a flap disc on a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder then that's all I have used since. I have entertained the thought of buying a dedicated blade sharpening machine but, it's not worth it to me at this point. Something like this http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW8308-2-Inches-8-Inches-Zirconia/dp/B000BPC2PU
    I also use a portable bench grinder stand that I have under the awning of my shop so that I am not spreading the grinding junk inside my shop anymore like I used to have. I just clamp the blade to the platform on the stand with a pair of vice grips.

7. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

over the years ive seen many swear by bench top belt sander

JLSLLC likes this.
  8. monoshock

monoshock LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO, balancing is just as important as sharping.
    Buy a Magna-Matic blade balancer and use a angle grinder.

9. bluetruck

bluetruck LawnSite Member

best money ive spent. i used to use the angle grinder, but if you sharpen your blades enough the angle will get out of spec pretty quick using that. the blade sharper takes about 30 seconds per blade, i then hold a screw driver horizontally and put the blade on it for balancing. it is usually very close to perfect, but at the end of the day, these are lawn mowers, not rockets/airplane with extreme tolerances, it doesnt need to be perfectly balanced.

10. Magna-Matic

Magna-Matic Sponsor

Hello All,

Please do not underestimate the speed of lawn mower blades, they are among the fastest cutting tools (speed/feed-rate). Balance is critical if you expect the mower to perform.

NEVER use a screw driver or nail in the wall to balance a blade, it can cause more harm than good, because you are not balancing from the center of the mounting hole. (center of rotation)

Thank you,