Sharpening Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Aug 21, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I have a good bench grider and want to sharpen my own blades. But how can i find out if they are balanced? Do any of you do it like that? Taking the blades in is being to much of an expense!
    Any help would be great. Thanks

2. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Put a nail in the wall, hang blade on nail to see if it tilts to one side. Your dealer has a little cone thing that sits on the bench, you put the blade on it, if it lilts then one side is heaver and needs to be sharpened a bit more. Dont pay someone to sharpen blades thats insane cause its fun. :alien:

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, you can get a cheap balancer from your dealer for a few bucks. I still never balance the blades though. I usually just replace the blades after 4 weeks anyways

4. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

How come tied? Are they getting ready to crack at that point?

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it just starts to become a pain trying to get the edge, and they are already getting a lot of dings in them. Even though they are little dings, I am very picky with the blades having a nice solid edge

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If blades are really unbalanced you should feel it easily as you mow. Recently I bought a new pair, I thought the mower was going to disintegrate before my eyes. Brought them back to the dealer, he said he'd have them balanced. I said no way, they are brand new, I want a new set. After some grumbling he finally gave me a new set. I mean, what's the big deal? Cant' they send them back to the manufacturer?

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with tiedeman. I sharpen my blades one time, usually after 10-14 days, then dump them after a month.

It's easier to just get new ones, and if you talk to your dealer, tell them you want 12 sets of blades for the year, you can usually get a fairly decent price.

8. moremowing

moremowing LawnSite Member

You mean your suppose to sharpen those things?

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If you have the dealer sharpen them, you might as well just replace them. My dealer charges $5 to sharpen vs. $8-12 for a new blade. I agree with tiedeman. Compare a new blade to a year-old one, you'll see how banged-up and out of shape they get.

10. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are NUTS! I can make a set of blades last for a year or more. Throwing them out after a month is crazy. I have a Brandlein Fireball grinder. I also have a magna-matic balancer. I sharpen and balance them after each use. I never go more then 8 hours on a set of blades. Change them every day! I save them up and sharpen at the end of the week and do them all at once. Did 29 blades the other day. Took about an hour so sharpen & balance. If I took them out to someone to do them it would have cost me $120 or more. SAVES MONEY in the long run to have your own sharpener & balancer!!! You get BETTER QUALITY TOO, by doing them yourself.

Mike