Sharpening Blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by yokes, Jan 27, 2005.

1. yokes

yokes LawnSite Member

What is the best technique to use when sharpening your blades with a hand grinder?

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

a hand grinder will take you a really long time if you do a lot of blades. It would probably be better to invest $50 in a cheap bench grinder than to try to do them by hand.

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I use a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder to sharpen my blades. It is important to maintain a consistant angle on the blade and not let it get too hot. I do not move my arms or wrists at all. All of my movement is from the waist down. (save the jokes). A good balancer is also a must like the Magnamatic. P.M. me if you need more info.

4. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

You can get a cheap bench grinder... a lot faster that way. I use a sanding drill-bit if it's not bad and i'm too lazy to take the blade off. Bench grinder is most effective

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

A hand file for most of the sharpenings, using a bench grinder every 4-5 sharpenings. The key is not to let them get very dull. I sharpen after every 6-10 hours of service, when the edge is still pretty good.

I learned the bench grinder takes off too much material -- much more than necessary to keep the sharp edge. A good hand file will get the job done just as quickly, as long as you have a good vise to hold the blade at the right height, angle, and against the right light to see your work.

I only have one two-bladed w/b, and two hand mowers, so understand I don't have a significant inventory of blades to handle. For those with several mowers, three blades per mower, etc ... they might feel differently. A blade sharpener is so expensive for my small operation.

My biggest regret is not the procedure, but rather finding good hand files. Nichols (sp?) seems to be the only supplier into the box stores, local hardware stores, etc. Anybody know of a supplier of hand files?

6. sglawn

sglawn LawnSite Member

I use an angle grinder and a hand file. I flatten the front egde with a hand file if there is a any nicks taken out of them. Then I go back with my angle grinder and sharpen them, but make sure and keep the right angle. After you sharpen a few you will get the hang of it. Make sure and get a blade balancer too. This way they will be even on both sides. I hope this helps.

7. new-man

new-man LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

i like to use a dremel rotary tool, with the garden tool sharpener kit. it works great on hand tools also.

8. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 1/2 hp crapsman benchgrinder. I keep a course wheel on one side for the duller blades and a fine wheel on the other side for blades that just need a quick bump.

9. the scaper

the scaper LawnSite Senior Member

By the way if you decide to use a bench grinder a heavy pair of leather gloves would be a wise saftey measure.

10. Cobra Jock

Cobra Jock LawnSite Member

I agree. I see guys moving their arms back and forth and the blades look like crap. If you lock everything in and move your body, you can lay down a great edge. Also, I goe over the leading edge (lightly) before I sharpen because its easier to see the edge come in!

Greg