Sharpening bullet for hard ground?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Sep 29, 2005.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

In my efforts to learn from others' experiences (aka mistakes :) ), has anyone tried to sharpen the bullet on the plow blade for hard clay?

255SX but just does not want to go into anything hard. Thinking about grinding the bullet to a sharp point and see what happens. Bullet is about 1 1/4-1 1/2 diameter now.

Any ideas, guys and gals?

John

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The sharp point can only help. Can you get a blade with a replaceable bullet? For what it's worth, the precursor to the 255sx really needed a sharp blade to work effectively in tough soil.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The precursor to the 255 (VP12?) is what we used to use. We would take the blade to a local welding shop and have them build up the bullet with a big gob of weld, and then grind it nice and sharp.

It seems to help.

I think my 410 would still pull well regardless of what we used as a blade...got to love diesal power.

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

A sharp bullet will help. If tree roots/heavy sod are part of the problem, a weld bead on the front of the blade will help (creates a saw type action), BUT if your really having trouble pulling with any vib plow, consider having the shaker checked and possibly having the rubbers replaced. Does the machine itself shake badly when "pulling hard"? Increased machine vibration is a good sign the rubbers need replaced.

5. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

:waving: Thanks for all the info.

When we get into the hard stuff, the blade will go down about 4" (topsoil) and then bounce and shake on top of the clay. The machine does not shake, but the shaker and blade get quite a workout. We have pull a shallow cut and then water the hell out of it and then it will pull fine. But that is very time consuming and labor intense!

I'll sharpen it up and see what happens.

Thanks again,

John :waving:

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Make life easier, weld a piece of steel pipe on the back of the blade almost to the end. At the top have it threaded and adapt a quick connect brass garden hose adaptor . Attach the garden hose to the blade when pulling , it loosens the soil , you may have to pull slower but you will pull fine . I have been using water injection for years.

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

What plow do you use?

8. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Burkeen , The water injection makes pulling smoother and makes for less work on restoration