Sharpening Exmark Mulching Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lwngrl1, Sep 29, 2004.

1. lwngrl1

lwngrl1 LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the site, and first of all would like to say thanks for this great site.

Now for the question :rolleyes:

I was wondering if anyone has any input on sharpening the Exmark mulching blades. I've been using a 4" grinder and then filing them. I usually get around 15 or so good sharpening on them, then start to lose the angle. I've talked to the mechanic at my dealer and he uses the 4" too.

Thanks guys,

60" Lazer Z
    48" Turf Tracer
    Woods 5210
  2. STAN1366

STAN1366 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi LWNGRL1, the Exmark mulching blades are a pain to sharpen. I've got a 6" grinder and having the 2 different 'levels' on each blade plus the 'bend' between them, I find it's just easier to use a regular high lift and a gator blade on each spindle. I bought the mulching kit, but only used it for 3 weeks. I found it worked better for me to either side discharge, double cut, and/or use the bagger than to be locked into mulching only.
  3. cward

cward LawnSite Member

lwngrl1, How often are you sharpening the blades. It sounds like you are getting a decent life out of your blades. Since you are using a hand grinder, I would suggest sharpening as often as feasible. By doing this, you might better be able to mirror the original angle of the blades.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I initially take some extra time in doing this with a 4" angle grinder, and grind down a much sharper bavel at a narrower angle. After that, each time I sharpen them, I start at the top and slowly work toward the edge - spending more time toward the top. This way, the angle NEVER gets too blunt. Note: ALWAYS make sure your blades balance out when using a handgrinder.
  5. lwngrl1

lwngrl1 LawnSite Member

Thanks guys.

I sharpen every eight hours of cutting or so.
  6. Craig T

Craig T LawnSite Member

The bench grinder is really worthless when it comes to sharpening blades, especially the exmark mulch blades. Try a commercial belt sander with a 36 grit belt and finish them off with a 120 grit for the razor edge and to remove the burr. Not only that, you can flex the belt around the contour of the off-set blade with ease and make them look better than new. Plus the blades won't heat up as bad with the sander. No comparison vs the bench grinder.
  7. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Craig, are you referring to the belt sander that knifemakers use? We've been using one of those for years. The boys say that is the only way to sharpen blades.
  8. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Try a Magnamatic 8000...The Curved Table is Designed Specifically for sharpening Off-Set Blades....
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

...for the low low price of 600 bucks.
  10. Craig T

Craig T LawnSite Member

Parkwest, I'm not sure. The one I use is a commerical model belt sander that has a 1/2 hp Baldor motor and uses 2 x 48" belts.