1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sharpening gator blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lasher66, May 16, 2002.

1. lasher66

lasher66 LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering when you sharpen gator blades if you just sharpen the blade or do you do anything to the teeth sticking up?I just noticed that the teeth look really rounded compared to when I first bought them. Thanks

2. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

no, just the blade.
  3. Holloway Lawns

Holloway Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Speaking of Gator Blades I have asked my dealer for them and they did not have any in stock so I asked what is the cost oh we would have to look it up then they could not find the part number in any of the books or on the computer.

I went back a few days later still no price. They told me that they would look it up and call me within an hour that was on Monday about 11:00 am still have not heard from them. So is there a good place on the net to order them from for a 36" Toro Proline?
  4. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Lasher 66,

Just the cutting edge is to be sharpened. When sharpening blades put the fins to a wire wheel to remove buildup created by moist grass. Of the opinion that it helps in some way. Speaking of green buildup always wire wheel underside of main cutting edge also. heavy buildup subtracts from quality of cut by knocking grass over while cutting. It is also nice to oil ,spray mow-deck or non-stick agent on blade after cutting to avoid grass from clinging

Have you tried the new Alligator Magnum blade? Magnum has a lot more lift and blowing power. We are satisfied Magnum customers.

Hope that this post was of help.
  5. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Holloway Lawns,

Might try Russo's Power equipment for the Gators blades.
    No web site. E-Mail russo@russopower.com
    Phone 1-877DoRusso

Great prices. Try the Gator Magnum. Hope that you might like it.
  6. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

actually folks, I do sharpen the teeth on gator blades 2 or 3 times a year, with a handheld makita grinder. It does make a difference, even if only for a little while.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I've sharpened my teeth, also. I used the dgrinder, and just squared the edge of the teeth off so they are pointed and sharper. Works well, because they do tend to get rounded off after time.