Sharpening hedge trimmers and chainsaws

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DAVELAWN, Oct 23, 2005.

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

I am looking to buy the equipment necessary to sharpen both. Tired of spending the money having someone else do it, would rather complete the process in house. Any thoughts on what to buy to accomplish these tasks?
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

thanks do u like it? ease of use? how long to do a 20 inch blade in ur estimation???
  4. Restrorob

To me thats the only way to sharpen one, Once you get use to the machine you can do a 20" in about 5 mins., At 3.00 a sharpen and gas to the shop it wouldn't take long to pay for itself.
  5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

for chainsaw chains, I dont use cheapo chinese grinders, I run a high quality Oregon 511A which is quite nice for sharpening pretty much any chain under the sun short of 3/4" pitch.
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I use a file with guide. My saw doesnt see a whole lotta use to justify a few hundread dollar machine.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

For the hedge trimmers use a 90 degree 4" grinder with sandpaper on top of a cut off wheel. Cut off wheel gives support for 4" dia sandpaper and keeps it from getting ripped in if you hit bad edge. Then take the gear plate off the hedge trimmer so you can rotate the blades into correct position easily and grind away. Probably takes about 10 minutes and the they are straight and sharp.
  8. Restrorob

You are right about the Oregon machine, We have one set up for the smaller chains and one for the larger. If one plans on doing chains daily I would recommend the Oregon, But for a one a month sharpen I thought that one may be better than a file.
  9. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

call me old fashioned, but i just use a $2 file. chains last longer cause you dont grind quite so much off.
  10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Same here. 3 strokes for each tooth. Takes about 5 mins. to clean up a dull 20" chain.