sharpening hedge trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jaybee, Oct 28, 2001.

1. jaybee

jaybee LawnSite Member

I've heard different opinions on weather or not to sharpen dull hedge trimmer blades. Some say to just buy new ones and throw the dull blades away. I used my dremmel and sharpened each blade today. Haven't tried them yet but they look good. Anybody have any luck using this sharpening method? Low speed so the temper in the steel remains.

2. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Sharpen away, there is little, if any temper in them anyway. I used a file. Boy there are a lot of little cutting edges on a 30" double sided hedge trimmer aren't there.

3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

perfect timing, today i was just thinking about getting all my hand tools and hedge trimmer blades sharpened. i do not do any of my own sharpening yet, i have a friend who does it for free, and also a good cheap dealers. how many of you guys sharpen ur hand pruners hedge trimmers etc.??? do your dealers offer that service also? or do u go out and buy new ones?

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

All of my hedge saws have been sharpened numerous times. I couldn't even imagine buying new all the time. This would be like buying new mower blades all the time, instead of sharpening them, only a bit more expensive than a set of mower blades.

5. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

I'll tell you one thing about hand pruners. I usually buy the cheapest ones at Home Depot. I seem to lose them all the time! I'd rather lose a $7 pair than a $25pair.

I should probably buy more expensive pairs and do a better job of hanging on to them, but I just can't seem to not misplace these things. I take good care of all my tools, but those darn pruners have legs!

Eric

6. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I sharpen mine using my 4" grinder. I take the blades off the machine and clamp them to the top rail on my trailer. Then, carefully and lightly, I touch the beveled edge of the blades to restore the edge. It takes a little while to get the feel for doing this, but if you have a steady hand, the result will be amazing. Last winter I did my hedge trimmer and my extended hedge trimmer both at the same time, and that was a little hard on the arm muscles, but doing one at a time isn't that bad. Oh, after completing the job, just run a flat file across the bottom to remove the burr and then watch how easily they slice through the most difficult trimming jobs.

7. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I did my hedge trimmers a few months back with a hand file , It was the most horrible thing I have ever done. Worse than scrapeing poop off the bottom of the mower deck... It took me almost a week to do my two trimmers, little bit each night.. never again...... How easy was the dremel method.. the angle grinder scares me.. I would probably cut the 30" down to 15" if I tried it that way... LOL

8. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Sharpening Hedge Trimmers!

I haven't figured this out yet myself.

Currently, I touch up with a hand file on the flat edges and then lube them before each use. That way I'm just touching up rather than full blown sharpening.
    (I don't worry about the curves, cause thats not the cutting edge)

I've thought about 4" grinder. My dealer uses one with a jig.

Also considerd dremel, and even rotozip.

9. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I first tried the Dremmel tool, but found it took way to long and wouldn't take enough material off to create a sharp edge. Don't be afraid of using a 4" grinder. Just go slow and use a light touch. After a few tries the angle will be perfect and you won't have to think too much before doing each one. What do you have to lose? If it's dull, it's junk anyway!

10. Jerrys Lawn Service

Jerrys Lawn Service LawnSite Member

We always use a Dremmel tool with a cone shaped stone, we can sharpen a trimmer in about 30 min and they turn out just fine.
    Jerry