1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sharpening Hedger Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greens, Feb 7, 2002.

1. greens

greens LawnSite Member

What is the best and most efficient way to sharpen hedger blades? I had a guy who did it last time and he charged me $55. I won't do that again.

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

Get some sharpening stones that are used for sharpening the chains on chain saws. Put it in a drill and sharpen away. I usually allign the blades together when I do mine.
  3. WLC

WLC LawnSite Member
    from NE TN

I just sharpened mine using a pneumatic die-grinder. Worked great although it devoured a sharpening stone. I've heard others using a dremel tool in the same manner. Sharpening makes a big difference. Something else I'm anxious to see how well it works is: I trued up the blade nuts/bolts to run efficiently. Then applied Loctite(BLUE) to the threads to keep from vibrating loose and allowing the blades to get sloppy. Time will tell.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

probably know this but be sure a not mess up the base blade .
    dont know what its called,but its the pt that dont move.if anything just flaten the edge slightly if its getting rounded from use.later now
  5. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I touch my clippers up after a day of use with a metal file. But the guy I have brought mine to to sharpen them lines up the top and bottom blade with the "base" blade, clamps them vertically in a workbench vise, and uses an angle grinder. I think he has has lots of practice with that grinder, so something small and low powered like a dremel may be the safer route (in my hands anyway !) since it will remove less metal per pass.
    Good luck

6. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

$55.00 WOW!!!!!! How long were they? I have a Husky 225H60 hedge clipper with 24" blades, and the guy that does all my work only charges $15.00 to sharpen the both of them. For the blades for my Walker, 3 high lifts and 3 mulchers he charges me $10.00. After seeing what you are paying I feel pretty good getting mine done for so little. For what he charges me I can't MESS around sharpening my own. I drop a set off on Fri. and I pick them up on Wed. Works out real well for me. Good luck finding a CHEAPER way out.

7. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I used a metal file a few months after I had mine...since then, when I've finished using the hedge trimmers, I spray the blades with WD-40...that's been 2 years ago and the blades are still as sharp as the day I bought the trimmer...
  8. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

When sharpening your own hedge trimmer blades - whats the best technique? Line the blades up then sharpen, etc....? Thanks for your suugestions/techniques.