1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

sharpening jig for bench grinder?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J.T.M., May 19, 2007.

1. J.T.M.

J.T.M. LawnSite Member

Has anyone out there put together some kind of homeade jig to use with a bench grinder to get the correct angle and consistancy when sharpening blades? If so could you post pics and building instructions. Thanks J.T.M.
  2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

What would a tool look like for sharpening the wavy mulch blades....for that reason a lot of people simply use an angle grinder with sanding pads. And what do you use to sharpen the hedge trimmer...same angle grinder.
  3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Look up mini-miller they adapt to a bench grinder Ed
  4. siclmn

siclmn LawnSite Senior Member

I was always flirting with the idea of spending $500 on the real kind of blade grinder but I thought I would just try and make one myself. I did get the red ruby wheel from the company that makes the grinders. I put a hinge on the motor to fine tune the angle of the wheel as it gets smaller and the angle changes.

blade grinder 003.jpg

blade grinder 004.jpg
    JKR likes this.
  5. jlouki01

jlouki01 LawnSite Senior Member

I have always used a bench grinder but I recently tried a hand grinder and found I could make my blades much sharper with that.
  6. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

I used to use a bench grinder, but I just purchased an angle grinder and that my friends is the cat's meow for sharpening blades. I think it might be possible to sharpen the baldes while still mounted to the deck. I haven't tried it yet but I will. The angle grinder is super fast.
  7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

That rig is great, I am an angle grinder man myself, but I have always heard that a "hollow ground" sharpening is better, which you should get with the expensive blade grinder rigs and with the rig you built. great job!
  8. J.T.M.

J.T.M. LawnSite Member

thanks for the response. I think i'm gonna get an angle grinder and see how that goes.