Sharpening Meg-mos

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FERT-TEK, Nov 1, 2005.

1. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

Just bought a set of meg-mos and a ACS for my Z500 and have been impressed so far with their performance with fall leaves. I noticed that the blades didn't have a verry good edge on them so I brought out my 4 1/2" grinder and put a nice edge on them. My problem is in order to sharpen them while on the disc you need to move them back until they sort of lock on the disc. My technique is tearing up my grinder pads when I do the tips though. Are you guys using the paper discs or a grinding wheel to sharpen? If you are using the paper discs what grit do you recommend. Also how often are you putting a new edge on them, every 8 hrs weekly or longer

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I use a 4 1/2" grinder as well. what I do is pt the blade into the vise at a sharp angle with the blade at the lock position. I find this gives me a bit better ofan anlge for sharpening. But it is still kind of annoying and more taxing on the grinding wheel. But then again grinding wheels are only $8 and last quite a while.

3. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Take the blade and lay on the work bench with one knife over the edge of bench and hold back with knife at a 90 then can be sharpen very easy. We sharpen on the mower just as easy.

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

please provide a more graphic example and maybe include pictures. If it is laying on the bench, how are you keeping it secured?

5. mole

mole LawnSite Member

also show how you sharpen on the mower. That would be quite intresting.

6. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

with a damn clamp for crying out loud. geez we arent building battleships here

7. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

seems like alot of work just to sharpen blades :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

8. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Will put some pictures on next week as sec. is off the rest of week.

9. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Also, if you could show how to balance them too.
    Thanks

10. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

according to the makers of this product they do not need to be balanced for some reason. I would like a physics major to verify this although I do not notice any vibration coming from the spindle area.