Sharpening Mulching Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-N-Garden Guy, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I'm sitting here thinking how all you guys sharpen ExMarks mulching blades,I have used a 4 1/2" angle grinder and what a task and my dealer says thats the way he has to sharpen them also due to the curved blade you can't use a conventional blade sharpener,I have seen the ones that sharpen mulching blades for around a $1000.00 ,I hate to spend that kinda $$ to sharpen blades,but I guess I could do some subbing for my dealer to help with the cost.

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I use a bench grinder. Wear safety glasses and gloves and just eyeball it.

3. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I also use an angle grinder for my eXmark mulching blades. I can get them sharp but I feel like I'm not getting the life out of em that I should be. I'm saving for a Magna-Matic sharpener and hopefully that will get the job done better and quicker.

4. wrm53

wrm53 LawnSite Member
    from NC

I also use an angle grinder to sharpen these blades. I found it to be easier than on my bench grinder.

5. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

For all you low techies, there is this invention called a "file".

6. Oliver1850

Oliver1850 LawnSite Member

Funny thing, all I use is a flat file. I did away with using the bench grinder and angle grinders. They were way to aggressive. I get more life out of my blades by using the flat file.

7. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Same thing here Oliver.

I made a mess of my blades with a grinder.

8. Love Thy Neighbor

Love Thy Neighbor LawnSite Member

If it's true that the tool you need for sharpening your blades cost
    $1000.00 then I would just replace them when the time comes for $10 - $30 dollars. Happy New Year.

9. tim cooper

tim cooper LawnSite Member

well the way i see it. buy the magna matic (gonna get one myself this spring) and put the word out to other lco's in area (if any) sharpen their blades for 1-2 bucks a piece. I have asked other lco owerns that I know in the area and they were very receptive.

10. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

I also use eXmark mulching blades. My preference is a 7" air operated disc sander. The metal type of paper discs seem to work better for me than a rock type angle grinder. A bench grinder will work, but it is much slower and less maneuverable.