Sharpening New Blades??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brieldo, Jul 9, 2001.

1. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

I've never done this before, but From what I've read, you guys sharpen your new blades, instead of just installing them from the box as they came from the factory. Is that the proper way to do it? or should they just be left factory sharpened??

Ben:blob3:

2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Generally I will take them to the sharpener quick before I put them on. The edge that they come with is alright, but not quite as sharp as I like them. You can do it either way, but if you like really sharp blades, then buzz them prior to the first time.

3. WOW! You guys in Minnesota must be dealing with some tough grass! The KY bluegrass here is still lush and tender. If you have the blades too sharp here, it just accents every jog and dip that the deck took going across the yard. It kind of looks like a bad haircut.
    Dave

4. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

yes sharpen them they are only credit card sharp and even new blades can be out of balance. sharp blades save time you can go faster and is better on motor and dont turn the grass blades brown on the tips like the new dull blades.

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

For a long time, I never sharpened or balanced new blades. Then someone mentioned about how out of balance the new blades were. I got some new blades and checked them. I could not believe how out of balance they was. Now I and clean most of the paint off, and check the balance, sometimes they are sharp, but most of the time they need sharpening also.

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Lets put it this way, a new blade usually will not cut you and I feel they leave them just dull enough so they won't cut anyone so they don't get sued. If they won't cut a person, they won't cut grass correctly, so I sharpen and balance all new blades.